Expedition Foods

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Cheers Rich / Steve for the back up.
I appreciate how this may have looked like a spam / sale technique however, it wasn't and It never ceases to amaze me how quick folks are to doubt others or jump on someones back on this site. It's a shame because on the whole i like this site.

I have had a very good experience with expedition foods and thought i'd share it to others who have never heard of them. If this is a crime then so be it.

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything, nothing personal! I used to be admin of an other forum and spam came flying in all the time (like on so many websites) so anything that looks like it gets me out of my cage :borgsmile
Hope you don't mind so we can all happily enjoy this forum together :240:

Cheers,
Lasse

G

goshow

£4.00 per meal seems a tad expensive, as rat packs can be had for £5.00 for 24 hours worth

I think most folks are missing the point here. these are designed as EXPEDITION foods. They are usefull for bushcraft but that's not where they're aimed. Yes a rat pack is cheaper but takes a hell of a lot more time to cook and will produce far more waste and mess. These packs come in a foil wrapped contianer. Rip the top off, open the bag, add water, wait 5 mins, eat, put one item of rubbish in bag. DONE.

I fully appreciate that these can be made by yourself and other meals are available for a lot cheaper but I like em, I don't think they're badly priced and I thought a few of you may want to hear about em and give em a try.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I think most folks are missing the point here. these are designed as EXPEDITION foods. They are usefull for bushcraft but that's not where they're aimed. Yes a rat pack is cheaper but takes a hell of a lot more time to cook and will produce far more waste and mess.

Plus a standard 24hr rat pack is the thick end of 2kg, and they're not exactly small either. I can stick a BeWell 24hr dehydrated ration pack in my jacket pocket and hardly notice that it's there.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
when i first joined this site, one of the very first posts i replied to, (i cant remember what it was) I made some perfectly legitimate comment that just happend to be in contrast to all the other opinions on the particular post. I then had my first ever pm, from some kind user who said that i was obviously a troll and he had pm'd admin to have me removed from the site. My reply to him perhaps could have got me banned :censored: lol

Had he labelled me a troll in the post, Im sure 20 others would have joined in, a row would have started and i probably wouldnt be here today, mud sticks

This site seems to have plenty of admin (some might say too many) so why dont we sit back and let admin do their job, instead of playing wannabe admin and jumping on people with words like troll or spammer, without any real reason. . .

as for the product . . £4 for porridge an apricot bits. . . theyre avin a laugh :lmao:

In general, I like to take 'real' food with me, however, having done a number of expeditions in the past I am well aware of the usefulness of these types of products.

I'd like to thank goshow for highlighting this company (who I wasn't previously aware of), and his recommendation - although, to point out the obvious, it's 'protocol' to add something along the lines of "no connection, just a satisfied customer".

The only thing I'd say is whilst I cannot make up most of the main meals & puddings myself, the breakfasts are expensive & easily made yourself...

one zip-lock bag
cereal bowl full of museli
milk powder / complan (for extra nutrition)
sugar (to taste / for extra energy)
extra dried fruit to taste

(just add water - hot or cold)

cost - very little

Just my opinion.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the MRE is a good piece of kit (in my opinion)
I used to keep one in my boat box when I was scuba diving.
Ideal for an emergency meal when you're cold and wet.
As to the exped foods, I'm not convinced, but if you have the money to throw at them fair enough, I prefer to eat a little better than that when I'm out, although weight is not so much of a concern for me.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I prefer to eat a little better than that when I'm out, although weight is not so much of a concern for me.

Ha! I've seen what you get up to Graham...

Sure, if weight isn't an issue, then dehydrated food is both substandard and expensive. It's specifically for the times when weight is a major issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE