Expedition Food Recommendations

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Melonfish kindly told us about "Ye Olde Oak ready meals"

I am going expedition training in May in the UK and wondered if people had any other recomendations for expo food- boil in the bag type.

I am thinking the cheaper supermarket ones as opposed to the Wayfarer types.

There has been a few other threads around the subject but not a definative list.

Any help would be gratefully accepted!

Trojan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Princess brand do some boil in the bag meals like sweet and sour chicken, need to pad them out with some rice though; good quality meals and I know Tesco sell them. They also do small pouches designed as sandwich fillers and these work well with a bit of pita bread :) Other stuff to look for are tuna steaks in pouches, great mixed in with rice or pasta.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Look what we Found pouches are great - I try and get mine on offer or from Aldis specials as they can be a bit pricy normally....

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
I second 'Look what we found' on taste alone. There are quite low on Calories ( 230 - 350 if i remember right) so you'd need to throw in some carbs as well.

You can remove the labels in cold water first and then use the water from brews, just do it on site unless you want random meals.

JBTH

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I like those Soupfulls from Batchellors, they're another good one, packed full of chunky bits (not much like soup at all) and pouched so easy cooked.
another one i do is the Aldi pasta, the fresh stuff thats stuffed with either ham or spinach, them plus one of those dolmio stir ins makes a great meal!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i like the ,green giant, pouch soups easy to pack and taste good had a cold night last week and this was a lovely warmer. iam camping out next fri and have been looking for some venison to try over the fire,but the thread on the spit roast chicken seems to have changed my mind think iam going to go for that.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i,ve tried the "look what we found range and the ye olde oak and they are good,i also like the new ratpaks i just got a full box and they are great.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Look what we founds are pretty good - they form part of our 'in car' winter emergency rations.

I used to use a brand of curry in a reheat foil bag called 'curry to go' available from Morrisons though I've not seen them in ages, they were pretty good.

Other than that, expensive but carby and really tasty are the Norwegian dinners from www.expeditionfoods.com they're dehydrated but can be cooked in the bag in 5 mins. additive free and delicious even at home!

Jay

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I like the Aptona freeze dried stuff from Decathlon, it is a little pricey but still cheaper than the wayfare and if your planning a trip you can grab a couple every now and then until you have enough for what you want. After all they last for 10 years or more. :)

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
If you have a indian/ chinese/ asian supermarket in your area you'll find loads of cheap boil in the bag meals. That's where I get mine.

The quality is superb too.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you have a indian/ chinese/ asian supermarket in your area you'll find loads of cheap boil in the bag meals. That's where I get mine.

The quality is superb too.

all i have is Jamaican. which sounds odd but it has some interesting stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE