Exmoor advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mallow Man

Jul 10, 2004
Devon
I am planning a schlep around Exmoor (Dartmoor has been my turf for too long recently) and I was hoping that you brothers of bushcraft may be able to advise me what woodlands on Exmoor are good overnight camps spots (legit. or not) for the low-profile bushman. If you have any particularly good spots a grid ref would be good. Also any advice on areas to stay clear of.

Mal

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Pool bridge camp site is my fav. It's in the steep sided valley with trees on both sides It has small but nice clear stream flowing through the middle With small browns and eel and best of all you are allowed fires. The farmer is a top bloke who lets you do what you want within reason. I take my bow,fish and live under poncho with no problems. The site attracts very like minded people. here is the link for the site www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/somerset/poolbridge.htm

It can get quite packed in the summer but is empty most other times. I'm not one for camp sites but this one is tops. Last year i was there almost every weekend.
You'll see a mink legging it down the stream most nights when sitting around the fire. Pheasant on the valley tops too.
87 44 is a 4fig grid to the site

Hope this helps

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I can second that I come from Porlock and used to do a lot of bivouacking in Horner woods and surrounding areas as a kid. I spent a many of a summer hanging around on that campsite because my mate worked there and we knew many of the people that stayed there, oh what memories.

Den, will you be there at all in the coming summer? My wife and I are going to be spending a week down the so we may just see you.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
That looks a top-spot ( Ihave looked @ Horner Woods several times on the map and thought what a top location for a bit of bushcrafting).
Could you use a Hammock at the campsite? :naughty:
Neil

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Neil1
Hammocks are fine .I've used my pod on a number of occasions. It's alot more dense with trees at the far end of the camp site after you go over the ford. The pictures on the link shows the enterance where it's is quite open.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Neil1 said:
Cool :)
perhaps a venue for a few of the west country chapter to meet-up.
Neil
It would be just the place i think. maybe not in the summer holiday period but certainly most other times.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Actually was thinking back to last years Dartmoor meetup and thinking of repeating it.... a couple of times if possible :-D what say you all, anyone fancy putting a date in the calender say sometime March/April??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE