Exclusive use of tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
In my book a friend is worth more than a tool and if they don't know how to use it then be a friend and teach them !-)

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
2 way approach: Get them to get their own gear or do the work for them in return for something (not sure what exactly, a bit of help around camp i guess) then you're not lending out gear but you are doing more work.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
In my book a friend is worth more than a tool and if they don't know how to use it then be a friend and teach them !-)

Fair enough I do agree with that, however I wouldn't teach them using my own personal tools, as others have said get a cheap little mora and use that to teach them then :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I had mates who tagged along.
Always forgot something.
At first I carried spares be it a mug spoon or cheap knife. Even lent tarps and sleeping kit at times.
Then I realised that they didnt bother as it was expected that it would be easily sorted by me.
End result?
I stopped packing the spares. They looked crestfallen when I said I haven't got a spare you'll have to do without.
But some of them then bought their own kit and enjoy using it.others stopped coming when they realised that the combination quartermaster/packhorse had rebelled.

There are a few folk I will lend my knife/axe/ saw to.
Mostly memebrs on here as I know they will treat it with the respect due.

I also remember lending mr fenna my outdoor axe and telling him to put his back into it as he looked a little scared he may damage it

Afew years ago i used to organise walks into Derbyshire/Yorkshire from work, & always had extra kit, hats gloves flasks packs etc, to encourage others to come along.
However one guy who'd been on quite a few walks, when i asked when he was going to get his own pack, replied, "why , when you've got all that extra stuff ?", after that it was loans for the first 2 walks only.

Rob

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
After seeing someone who has been on a "course" ask to borrow an axe as he had taken his back to his car, then preceded to take it off a chopping block and nearly chopped on the ground before he got shouted to stop, kind of makes you think not everyone should be allowed out on their own.

LOL.. I remember that... Now was it some one that no longer comes to the meets????, dont forget it was also asked to use an axe as a hammer...funny he never returned after my shout... perhaps more courses..lol

Generally I will only lend tools if I know the people, or I am doing a skill share...then they are under my supervision.... and if some one does borrow my tool then it stays in my view...with a close eye...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
2 things came to mind while reading this thread

The dads armysketch where C Mannering messes up Jones's rifle attempting to clean it, then sneakily hands it back, well, there you are corporal Jones....
The other was the stickers you see in cafes and shops "please do not ask for credit as refusal often offends"

To the original poster
"I basically would like to avoid all the times people cut themselves or damage a blade without being stingy or causing offence or resentment."
If your mates get resentful or offended they sound a bit childish and immature. I'd say simply do not lend your axe, knife or any other tool, and dont be intimidated by peer pressure-or any other sort of social pressure-to aqcuiisce to their persistent requests.

rg598

Native
While it is bad form to ask to use someone's tools, I personally don't mind lending them. My tools are users, and their value to me is purely utilitarian. If someone seriously damages one of my tools, I would expect them to pay for the repair. Otherwise, if the damage is small, I just look at it as ordinary wear and tear, and fix it as best I can.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I have a similar plight with my mates.i have a couple of mates who are upto speed with proper use of tools and they are welcome too use mine.i also have close mates who ain't got a clue they love too camp out but just don't care for the bushcrafty stuff n this is were you have too draw a line.my advice is too take a cheep axe n file etc in the boot of the car with you and make this readily available too those who wish too carry it too camp and maintain it.teach them how too use it correctly and with respect.hopefully after a period of time this thrasher axe etc may start too be returned too the boot of your car in better shape.then you will be at the point were you can lend them the good stuff.i like too refer too my splitter as the other women and give her a little kiss and a stroke in front if my pals so they know too keep their filthy mitts off her.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is not the intrinsic value of a tool that bothers me - it is the hours of work needed to repair damage caused in a second, by some careless berk (myself or another) that upsets me!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so John :)

I wonder what kind of a person would damage a valued possession that had been trusted and not offer to make it good? Not a real friend for sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE