Exclusive use of tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new on here and to the idea of talking 'bushcraft' online etc. I thought I might start what could be an interesting beneficial discussion.

As the person out of my mates who loves making fires and camping outdoors etc the most (pretty much) so I'm always the one who has a knife and or axe and saw with me. People inevitably want to borrow my tools and it always creates an issue. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, you all know what I mean.

Getting an axe custom made really made me think that despite how much i like to share and help people out, I can't risk letting others use my axe.

It is specific to my needs, unique, and hugely valuable to me, so I think I'm justified, but I hate to hold out on folks.

And can I make this rule universal? What about my mate who I know understand how to handle tools with care, do I make an exception for him, or in front of people who i refuse it to?

I basically would like to avoid all the times people cut themselves or damage a blade without being stingy or causing offence or resentment.

Its a difficult line to walk no? Any thoughts, advice on how you handle these things?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If your friends go regularly and don't have the tools they need with them, then you have to ask yourself why not? Presumably they have sleeping bags, mats, rucksacks etc. but they don't have a knife? Why not?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I personally think I'd never lend tools like that unless I absolutely have to, some of mine are so special to me that I'd just be devastated if anything were to happen to them............strange how you become so attached to a lump of wood.. I think the 'precious' feeling increases even further when its your personal time going into the making of something.

I agree with BR, if they're going out and doing this kind of stuff, why would they not have their own tools for the job? I personally don't think its stingy to not let others use your tools as they're just such a personal item.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, I was going to suggest that - then I thought - why not just send them all an e-mail with a link saying

"I know some of you don't have your own knives - here is a great knife for £5. In future we should all carry our own as I will not be lending mine"

I guess my point is, the man who has already bought one, should not have to buy another one!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yep, I was going to suggest that - then I thought - why not just send them all an e-mail with a link saying

"I know some of you don't have your own knives - here is a great knife for £5. In future we should all carry our own as I will not be lending mine"

I guess my point is, the man who has already bought one, should not have to buy another one!

Having a spare knife to mistreat is never a bad idea. But if you don't want an excuse to buy another knife....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One should never ask to borrow a tool - ask if the owner can do the job for you.
If they trust you they may say that you should borrow the tool and do the job yourself - if not wait until they are ready to do the job in their own time.
If someone does ask to borrow the tool - just say no and explain how the tool is valuable to you and the level of skill you expect from someone you would be happy to lend the tool to - and how they need more training ...which you would be happy to teach them if they supply tools that will stand the battering of the lessons!
If you damage someone else's tool - even if you have perm to use it you should immediately offer to get it professionally repaired (ie get longstrider of this parish to get dings out of blades) or get the tool (even a custom made item) replaced ... this can be costly!
Heirlooms and other "special" tools should NEVER be loaned.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I often grab cheap items at Lidl or Aldi specifically with this in mind. Some of my tools are very expensive and some have a sentimental value. Close friends, ill give them a decent tool, and still keep the cheapo's for loans, but no-one gets my good stuff.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Lending tools is always a mistake. We all try some one elses knife axe etc, but its just that trying it.
I've now got a small gardening buisness, & mostly work on my own, but do employ casual labour, mostly the same couple of guys on an adhoc basis. One guy is a farmers son & respects tools, chipper etc..& uderstands their worth, & i can happily leave him with lawnmowers unsupervised. The other is a hard worker but has no respect for tools or equipment, after seeing him cram as much as he could into the chipper then shout its jammed, i don't let him near anything just use him as labour.

Keep your friends close, & your tools closer !

Rob

I had mates who tagged along.
Always forgot something.
At first I carried spares be it a mug spoon or cheap knife. Even lent tarps and sleeping kit at times.
Then I realised that they didnt bother as it was expected that it would be easily sorted by me.
End result?
I stopped packing the spares. They looked crestfallen when I said I haven't got a spare you'll have to do without.
But some of them then bought their own kit and enjoy using it.others stopped coming when they realised that the combination quartermaster/packhorse had rebelled.

There are a few folk I will lend my knife/axe/ saw to.
Mostly memebrs on here as I know they will treat it with the respect due.

I also remember lending mr fenna my outdoor axe and telling him to put his back into it as he looked a little scared he may damage it

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Aye what I think of as mechanical sympathy isn't present in all.

Why don't you not take any tools on a trip and all try a really back to basics approach and forage for a blade from your surroundings?

Alternatively a bag of coke or coal, a bin bag for bellows, a hammer and something for an anvil.
get them each to bring along an old file and call it a camp project, nothing will inspire respect for an item like a lot of graft and sweat to get it.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My knife, hatchet and axe are mine and mine to use alone, some tools I do have to share like splitting maul, brace and bits and a drawknife and chisels for the pole lathe.
After seeing someone who has been on a "course" ask to borrow an axe as he had taken his back to his car, then preceded to take it off a chopping block and nearly chopped on the ground before he got shouted to stop, kind of makes you think not everyone should be allowed out on their own.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
How old are these guys?:) Sounds like some of my Cub Scouts!!!!!

I'd perhaps think of setting them up. Do a camp without any gear yourself and see what happens. Or, have a big hissy fit and tell them to get their own.

Tools are funny things. Some guys are even tool geeks :lmao: and covet the strangest of tools with apparently little use or meaning.

It's good to want to look after your personal stuff. Some folks are just not like that.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was just given a suggested response ... Mods please delete it if you think it inappropriate...
"Can I borrow your custom made, cherished and lovingly maintained axe/knife/other tool?"
"Sure - if I can borrow your wife/girlfriend for the night!"
You have, after-all, spent a lot of time money and effort getting the perfect tool set up - probably more than some have spent courting their partner!
See their responses!

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I cherish my knife and axe and if my friends wish to use them they are more than welcome as they are my friends for a reason
I also believe if you own a tool you should know how to solve the odd chip or accident

Regards Dave (caps lock )
@mouseinthewood

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I also believe if you own a tool you should know how to solve the odd chip or accident

But that's just the thing, why should you have to just because you lent it to someone who doesn't know how to use it properly/have their own? If you do it yourself then you have only yourself to blame..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE