Exciting trip in Bundeena

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Just got back from a trip in the Royal National Park (NSW), which turned out to be quite eventful. The first day, my girlfriend and I walked about 7km, stopping occasionally to try the native currants that are in season here, and to take in the beautiful scenery.

The first night we set up our hammocks about 50 metres off to one side of the track and lay looking at the stars and moon till we fell asleep. The next morning after breakfast, I taught Annette how to make feathersticks with her mora.
We then walked 9km to the shore and saw a goanna (my first!) an eastern water dragon (which looks like a staffie when it runs) and two wedgetail eagles, which I later found out have a wingspan of 2.3 metres!

We had just set up camp early for the second day, when Annette cut her index finger down to the bone. I frantically did some 1st aid, but was starting to get worried when I couldn't stop the bleeding. We decided that we should evacuate her, so I packed up our gear and carried the packs to the nearest firetrail, where luckily we ran into a friendly family with a car, who offered to drive up to the visitors centre of the park. The rangers then generously drove us out of the park to where we had left the car. Half an hour later Annette was in emergency getting her finger glued closed again.

All in all we both enjoyed the trip, as we had seen lots of beautiful animals, seen great scenery and had practiced some skills. Luckily the accident hasn't turned Annette of camping, as she's keen to get out again as soon as possible.
I also got a chance to test my new camping outfit, which is now entirely homemade; pack, stuffsacks, clothing and insulated hammock.
It's also good to learn how you react in a first aid situation, and to see whether your first aid kit is up to scratch.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Ah, Bundeena, I remember it well. I camped out there when I was in Oz in '92. What a great spot it was. On the campground there they had a pile of logs and tinder ready cut for the BBQ's. And there was a great creek, beyond the small bridge, for swimming as well. I did a lot of fishing while I was there, using a tin can and line, and caught fish to eat most days. I also saw my first Goana there, a big blue thing, don't know if it's the same as you saw. I have very fond memories of the place:)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I keep Super Glue in my FAK for just that eventuality - cut my finger badly in a similar way many years ago and had it glued. I asked the Doc where I could get some of the glue he used and he just said to use regular Super Glue for an emergency.....

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Sounds like you had fun barring the first aid 'blip' does make me know wonder if some super glue should work it's way in to my first aid set. Part of me says if an injury is that bad get the professional help in ASAP, the other part thinks that the help could be several hours away..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE