Ex MOD folding camp bed advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I am in the market for a folding camp bed and was wondering if any of you chaps have used one of the ex MOD folding aluminium ones?
I like the look of them because of their length and width.
Thanks in advance :)
HF

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have an ex MOD one good piece of kit. It's worth using a sleeping mat though as it can get cold else.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Most of the MOD ones have been knackered from use, pick up a new one from Aldi/B&M/Argos et al. There is nowt in it in terms of build quality and you'll be getting a new bed.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I use one all the time and it is well worth the 4.8kilo weight to carry it and not wake up to sharing my mat and bivvi with slugs

Edit to add i am also 10kilo over the recommended weight limit with no problems

attachment.php

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Try and get the new type.

The MK3 is improved with buckles so they can be easily assembled and then tensioned afterwards.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I got an ex-MOD one after I managed to buckle 2 of the lighter weight versions :eek:

3 years on and it's still doing me sterling service and coupled with an exped synmat gives a lovely comfy sleep :)

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
I have a US issue one, fantastic quality and been with me since 2003. The UK MOD issue ones are very cheap alloy and i would say the ALDI or cheaper ones out there would be a better buy as you're buying new.

Here's a top tip i picked up on my travels :
When putting the end bars on you find it a nightmare and you're breaking a sweat, get a damp cloth and rub in over the fabric of the bed and it loosens the fabric. Worked plenty of times for me:eek:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I bought a Sunncamp one new (rare for me to buy new, as you know) and have never looked back.

but you may need a thin mattress to use as insulation.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I bought a Sunncamp one new (rare for me to buy new, as you know) and have never looked back.

but you may need a thin mattress to use as insulation.

I bought a £90 top of the range Sunncamp concertina bed, and the plastic feet kept breaking off the complicated concertina tubes. Also, it had two plastic nipples to click into the frame, to make it rigid, which werent fit for purpose. Piece of expensive tat really. At the end of one camping trip, I threw the thing in the skip, of the farmer who owned the campsite.

I also bought a low folding chair, from sunncamp, for taking canoeing, and it broke within a week.

Sunncamp suck big time IMO. And so does their customer service.

Bed: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SunnCamp-Ex...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001NPCW3E

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE