Evernew - UK dealer for DX stove

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been on the BPL-UK site yesterday and spotted that Evernew from Japan are selling through PodcastBob's little online company. You can get the new Ti DX multi-fuel stove and their Ti meths burner (think Ti trangia style burner). Not bad prices too.

I know there are some on here who know about Evernew but in case you don't they make some very nice titanium camping stuff. The Japanese are actually quite good with lightweight gear. You have Montbell for clothing, evernew for Ti and also Primus have a Japanes company that does the excellent little Ti-lite kit. Basically a uber light can top stove with a solo pot that is also uber light. I think they do a handle-less pot and sell silicone finger tip gripper things. Kind of like GSI Halulite solo cookset.

In case anyone hasn't heard of BPL-UK or www.backpackinglight.co.uk they sell UL gear both made by them and others. I placed an order yesterday about 2pm then called because I missed something. They were already packing it and just took my details and added the extras then sent it out that afternoon. I got it about 9:30 today. Good service.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent kit. I can't praise the quality and design enough.

It's great some ones now selling them over here as I was having to get stuff sent to a third party to be forwarded or get stung for the various charges and for the privelege of the PO charging me for being charged.

J'ust got a Ti Clikstand so not sure I'll be getting the DX cooker part but the burner itself works fine despite Ti supposedly being no good for meths burners.

The 0.6 non stick pot is spot on for single person use, weighs so little you have to watch it doesn't get blow away in a mild breaze! Weighs 120 grams and the 1.9 I have been using for a couple of years is still without a scratch on the nonstick and so easy to keep clean.

allEvernew.jpg

Big orange one is 4 litres and Aly not ti as I wanted it for stewing and its more suited to that than ti.

ATB

Tom

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Looks nice and compact, but £70 plus postage for an alcohol burner is a tad expensive :eek:

Yes i know Trangia's are aswell but you get a whole lot more for your pennies!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Order mine yesterday arrived today, I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

I only ordered the stand and will use it with a civi trangia burner. It is expensive but if you love titanium you already know this.

The real bonus for though me is that I can take my snowpeak 700 mug, and have all the kit inside. Yeah there are DIY solutions but nothing as elegant.

Anyways, when I get home I will be having a play so I'll try and get some decent pics. If not it'll be in my bag for the weekend so I will take some then, but watch this space.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looks nice and compact, but £70 plus postage for an alcohol burner is a tad expensive :eek:

Yes i know Trangia's are aswell but you get a whole lot more for your pennies!

Can't burn wood in a trangia. The DX can be used as a wood burner, hexi burner and meths burner. Plus it is more compact and lighter. If like me bulk and weight are self imposed issues then the trangia is ruled out but the DX offers more for your pennies. Trangia is a one trick pony, meths or meths (unless you shell out on their over priced gas conversion kit with all that extra weight).

Pocket rocket costs almost that, windpro is more IIRC. Trangias cost about that or more. Multifuel stoves cost more. Bushbuddy costs more IIRC. Honey stove is cheaper as is the bushcooker but not by much (£55 compared with £70).

Still things are subjective. We can't all think the same.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looking forward to seeing those pic Lamper. I am not surprised you have had good service from them, a really good little company. Well worth supporting them IMHO. BTW what sweets did you get? I've had two lots of skittles crazy sours and now a pack of maynards sours. Another company I like is outdoorsgrub.co.uk. They put in little chocolate bars like a club biscuit. I really like that little extras. The club bars can be taken out of the packet and it reassembled to look like it hasn't been eaten. I knoow, I'm a big kid. If you saw my kit cupboard you'd not be surprised at that. These shops are like a candy store for me.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Purely my opinion and I am in now associated to any company mentioned here.

That said I order this from backpacking light who I would like to fully endorse! Bob is a great guy and always very helpful. I ordered finally at about 15:30 ish after mulling it over whilst at work and when I called ten minutes later to ask a last minute question Bob also lets me know it was already packed and ready to go! Arrived next day completed with Skittle Sours! Bob you know me too well! - love sours!

Okay so mine arrived and I have to say out of the box, I was a little disappointed, not to mention excited, so I forgot to take some picks, but there some excellent pics at http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product494.asp?PageID=99 and I this one from the Evernew site.

EBY257_img2.jpg

I was disappointed because it looks very flimsy, you squash this and you wont be happy, but its titanium so can be bent back, but won't be as pretty. It even states in the manual that this should be stored in a cup or something solid. This isn't an issue for me as it will be stored inside my Snowpeak kettle and that is the exact reason I went for it.

As you'd expect its light, VERY LIGHT! This is why its flimsy feeling, but well made, and cut well.

Specifications
Upper Stand
Diameter: 8.29cm
Height: 6.00cm
Weight : 23 grams

Lower Stand
Diameter; 8.02cm
Height: 5.00cm
Weight: 23 grams

PowerPlate
Titanium: 0.4mm thick
Diameter: 7.82cm
Weight: 6 grams
Total Body Weight 52 grams

(Courtesy of www.backpackinglight.co.uk)

You can see that there are 3 components - Top, Bottom, and the "Power Plate" - actually very cool/hot!

To assemble you just slide out the section with the long vertical holes, turn it over and slide it over the top of the other piece.

I ran two quick very unscientific tests and I was impressed. Because the titanium is thin and because its titanium it get HOT! QUICK! You can see in the photos below it geta glowing hot when running on a civi trangia burner. If you are planning on using this in a tent be bloody careful. It kicks off a lot of heat and light weight tent fabrics can go up easily. That said I don't consider this a downside, the stand itself draws very little heat from the fuel and kicks back enough to really make it not matter - again no science, just opinion.

Lets talk POWER or PowerPlate to be exact. This is another piece of titanium cut to look like a small grill. Those familiar with the honey stove will liken this, and indeed the whole stove stand, to a mini version of the top plate. The manual states this is for cold weather or poor fuel situations. To use you place this in the recess in the top and when the burner is lit it acts like a hot plate and really seems to help the overall output.

You may notice from the pictures that the flame pattern spills over the sides - this isn't ideal and maybe something to think about.

Anyway enough jabber! I'm happy with the stand overall, despite my original concerns. It's built to do a job and its does that well (as far as I can tell in the kitchen), but as like most equipment in the ultralight arena whilst light it's not as bombproof as other solutions. I accept this and knew it when I bought it, and at 50g ish I'm not complaining. So without further ado here are some pictures - apologies, they are pretty dire!

With the power plate and a civi Trangia
2.jpg

As Above
3.jpg

With my SnowPeak Kettle on top, notice the redness with the PowerPlate in use.
7.jpg

As above but without the PowerPlate, notice the change in colour?
8.jpg

Flame shot without the PowerPlate
9.jpg

Just Burning without the PowerPlate
10.jpg

There you go.

Lamper

Last edited:

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
I saw this stove very recently on the BPL website.

It looks like a large pot is necessary to avoid the flame licking up the sides and wasting heat.

Very useful photos lamper, thank-you!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All,

Just thought I would add some extra on the this.

I stayed out overnight on Saturday - Sunday and took my DX to play with. I am now even more impressed than I was before - especially as my little mod to it has made it work a treat!!

As you can see from the picture above the flame was getting a little high around the sides - this was because the Civi Trangia doesn't quite fit inside and was actually sitting on some little flaps on the side. So I got out the hacksaw and made 3 very small slits in the ring around the burner and now it slots in great. (I'lll take a pic or two tonight to explain....)

This has had some positive effects.
1 - the burner is now lower so the flame is not so high
2 - structure is even more solid
3 - each component stacks together properly.

Performance
Well, again I'm impressed. Normally I would use my honey stove (in the 4 piece configuration) and she is a good stand and have had no reason for complaint.

This weekend dispite being warm, there was a constant breeze on the hills so I took a whole standard bottle of coke (500ml) filled with meths. This was to fuel cooking dinner (canned chilled and boil-in-bag rice) for 3 and making enough tea and coffee to survive the night. I manager all that use approx 75-90 ml at a guess by looking at the bottle.

PowerPlate - This little plate is AWESOME!! it gets so hot that the even with the wind water boiling is very easy and effiecient. Using no more than my standard thick bit of kitchen foil for a shield it works VERY well.

Honestly this is an great bit of kit.

Anyway, back to work, but will do some picture tonight.

Mike

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Its funny but on another forum I've read the complete opposite review of this one. Someone actually said it has made him go back to his Trangia 27 despite its weight as the DX just did not work well. He actually said someone could have the DX and the Ti burner for the price of the DX alone, in fact he even practically gve it away for less later in the thread.

It seems the DX is not to everyone's liking or at least not everyone finds it user friendly for their way of working.

BTW Lamper, do you use the Evernew burner with it or a standard trangia style brass burner? It could be a case that the Evernew titanium burner is not efficient or doesn't burn well hence the other guy's bad review.

Also Lamper, is it better than the Honey? I know it doesn't pack as well since it doesn't go flat like the Honey stove. If you don't use a pot that can take it then you take up a bit of space in your sack by it. Not aproblem for bergen users but for lightweight fraternity bulk is a consideration like weight is. It is the reason why I have never gone for a woodgas type burner such as the bushcooker or bushbuddy,

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Okay, sorry for the delay on this one, real life took over! :eek:

Civi Trangia Mod
So I wanted to use my civi Trangia burner. Mainly because I didn't want to pay for a new burner when I have perfectly good one here.

The civi Trangia burner is no built to work with this and will "fit" out of the box, but not snug. It sort of sits on top (check post further up).

So 5 minutes with the hacksaw and 3 little notches later and the conversion was complete.

12.jpg

13.jpg

The added effect this has had is that I can take to Trangia top off without it spinning inside and it has made the whole unit more solid and lowered the centre of gravity.

Usage - Home/In the Field
I have tried this now config both at home and on the hills. The hills, as I mentioned in the previous post (see above), has a light but constant cool breeze blowing.

With the burner now at the bottom of the stand (where it should be) rather than the middle (where it was before) - the flame is far more controlled with less leakage. Although I haven't done any scientific tests it seems to have made it slight more efficient.

Other review response
Haven't read the other review you are talking about, but I didn't get the titanium burner partly as previously stated because I already have a civi burner, but also I don't it will work as well.

The Trangia Civi burner hasn't changed in years, everyone copies it and tried to "update" it. I'm sure if a titanium version worked better, Trangia would have done it by now. Also it hasn't got a lid or snuffer, which I also like.

Against the Honey
For me, they are different thing for different usages. I know they can be used both as multifuel, but I wasn't playing on using wood in mine (at least not at present).

DX Pros
  • Lighter - hey its titanium - and 50g ish vs Honey 300g ish
  • smaller - it packes inside my Snowpeak kettle (see below) - or my mates MSR Titan Kettle
  • quicker set up - just seperate and reverse the top section.

Honey Pros
  • More versitile - can be used with more configurations
  • More Robust - the honey will take a kicking - DONT STAND ON A DX STOVE!!!
  • Cost - Honey is better bang for buck

15.jpg

16.jpg

Conculsion
Like my children (if I had any) - I love them equally.

The DX stove is a no hassle, quick set up, UBER light stove. Great for hiking, day trips and solo camping/cooking.

The Honey is just as good at the above, but with 200g+ weight disadvantage. When camping on sites where you can't have open fire, use the honey. Need to cook on wood, use the honey (overall I think it will retain the heat better with wood), need something that can take beating, use the honey.

Like I said in my previous post the honey is my first love and I will continue to use it, but when hiking for the day or when weight is paramount the DX wins.

Message to Bob - backpackinglight.co.uk
Please don't take this post the wrong way. When you have a Titanium Honey I am first in line. I am just trying to be objective and I love your honey stove. I really do!

Last edited:

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
My only gripe with the Evernew Titanium DX Stand and Ultralight Titanium Alcohol Stove was when using it with my Alpkit titanium mug, the flames licked up around the whole mug making the handles extremely hot.

This was fixed by folding a piece of heavy-ish foil over the top and down the side to obscure 6 of the holes at the top of the DX stand where the flames come out, and being a bit fussier about positioning of the foil wind shield

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I have bought a few evernew pots from Backpackinglight.com. Fast deliver, good prices & they even gave me a free bag of Jelliebabies :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE