Ever wondered what firesteel sparks look like?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Was messing about practicing firelighting yesterday and I wondered what firesteel sparks would be like on long exposure. The answer is, like this:
20050807spark0002a4ec.jpg

20050807spark0003a6yt.jpg

20050807spark0004a8qp.jpg

A bit of fun. I think they are quite stylish myself - the middle one is my desktop :cool:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
arctic hobo said:
Was messing about practicing firelighting yesterday (...)

:eek: So was I!! :D Small world, isn't it? ;)

First I made the spine of my knife nice and square with a diamond file, and after that I did some practice (setting some kitchen paper towel alight ... and some dried moss, which I failed dramatically :rolleyes: :confused: ).
(Before I squared the spine of my knife I used the suplied "saw" / metal thingie - which is c**p).

Found out I prefer the method as used by RM (using the tip end of the knife, rather than the part near the handle and scrapping with the knife, rather than pulling the fire flash with my left hand - to prefend disturbing the tinder pile / tipping it over.

Lovely pics mate - look like firework to me :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Very cool. :)

Yesterday I discovered that dog hair lights quite readily. Fortunately it wasn't attached to the dog at the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE