eVent Compression Dry Sacks

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wonder if event dry bags are the way forward. I mean a compresion sack creates a cylinder of hard packed stuff. In my opinion too many of these results in wasted space in the sack. I use as low a sack volume as makes sense with my kit for weight reasons so I like to use up the volume of my sack. To do this I'd like to put stuff loosely into a dry bag, close it up then shove in in the bottom of the sack. This is mainly for sleeping bag and overnight stuff of course. Then the items packed on top comporess it down without leaving gaps. The air being expelled from the event material dry bag. Gear dry and as low a volume as needed. Please note that by doing this if the volume is not needed and there is space then the sleeping bag/quilt will not fully compress which it better for it. So you use the soft flexible dry bag to fill available space which will probably help with stability of the carry by preventing movement due to there being space to move.

Does this make sense to you as well?

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Hi Paul,

Yes, that makes sense to me, I pack my 50 lt GoLite Jam in a similar fashion:

- Soft items like spare clothing, down jacket in a dry sack at the bottom of the pack, along with a rolled self-inflating sleep mat.

- Sleeping bag on top of that in another dry sack (will now be the eVent compression sack).

- Cooking stove and mug on top of that, along with camp food and other oddities.

- Tent in another waterproof compression sack to stop it wetting stuff further down, but also allowing me to get it out first when arriving at camp leaving everything else until its set up.

- Waterproofs pushed down the front of the tent to force the tent backwards in the pack, closer to my back.

- Snacks and water in external pockets.

The beauty of the GoLite Jam is that it has roll-top closure, meaning that any remaining space can simply be rolled up, effectively leaving no space at all.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/1

I'm looking for something to pack down those heavier and bulkier winter sleeping bags.

The bags are great - used them for about 8 months whilst travelling around the world including some time in the Jungles of Borneo (despite marketing, they do seem to be 100% waterproof (submersible) as one was in a rucksack that was used as a floatation device.

The event bottom appears to be slightly more delicate than the rest of the bag - so I always pack "soft" things next to it (trousers, jacket etc) never compressing things like battery chargers/electronic gear into it.

Like all plastics though, keep any kind of deet well away from it - I had three, but after a deet explosion on a plane blew out from another compression bag, this ruined the seams removing any waterproofing.

Cheers,

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
Agile,

Thanks very much for the information!

I received the bag the other day (Amazon had the cheapest price I could find) and have to say that I'm very much amazed by the difference in compression made by the air being slowly squeezed out of the eVent panel!

I'll bear in mind the fact that the eVent panels are a bit more delicate - I'm only planning on keeping a sleeping bag in it, so shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to buy another one to compress the inner of the tent, too.

Never used DEET, the thought of my clothes dissolving makes me nauseous :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE