Evening Entertainment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Now that the nights are closing in I was just wondering what folk got up to when going solo and the sun goes down at the campsite ??

For me its either .....

1. Read a book for about five minutes then annoyingly fall asleep and miss the whole night :rolleyes:

2. Lay next to the fire in a gaze all night and occasionally make a brew or have some food :D

3. Go for a mooch about in the dark :eek:

4. Do something creative llike make a spoon :35:

5. Take an ipod and be oblivious to everything around me. :yikes: Tried this once and got paranoid after about 2 minutes because I couldn`t hear what was going on around me.

Rich

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
5. Take an ipod and be oblivious to everything around me. :yikes: Tried this once and got paranoid after about 2 minutes because I couldn`t hear what was going on around me.

Rich

I remember on an exersize guard duty middle of a wood and we knew there was no enemy so just had to stay awake to wake next guard up, listening to a walkman in the dark and jumping out of my skin listening to SLF when during one of the tracks someone shouts but only on one speaker. First time I spent ten minutes looking for who shouted even when I was expecting it still made me jump!

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Slowly work my way through a nice bottle of something while gazing at the fire. Sometimes read a book, fish or go for a wander in the dark. Although now and again my dog will hear something i dont and start barking, that can get me a wee bit paranoid lol :rolleyes:

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Nice to see other people get paranoid!!! Gonna go out on my own at the weekend.......love the woods not so keen after dark on my own......not the woods its people I worry about!
Staring at the fire takes up most my time.:) D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sit, doze, nibble, read, nibble, drink, listen to the night, watch the sky, listen to great music in my head, go to bed early - NEVER TAKE CANNED MUSIC as it kills the atmosphere....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I remember on an exersize guard duty middle of a wood and we knew there was no enemy so just had to stay awake to wake next guard up, listening to a walkman in the dark and jumping out of my skin listening to SLF when during one of the tracks someone shouts but only on one speaker. First time I spent ten minutes looking for who shouted even when I was expecting it still made me jump!

For our younger members, Andy is talking about Stiff Little Fingers......

Your still none the wiser, are you......

Tin soldiers......Great tune.....

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
For our younger members, Andy is talking about Stiff Little Fingers......

Your still none the wiser, are you......

Tin soldiers......Great tune.....
They still have it, saw them live a couple of months back on their 30th anniversary tour!(place old fogie smiley here) My daughter came along, only 14, and wanted to be at the front amongst all the 40 odd year old (ex) punks with huge beer bellies, how she never got crushed I don't know! She has been introducing punk to her mates!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Slowly work my way through a nice bottle of something while gazing at the fire. Sometimes read a book, fish or go for a wander in the dark. Although now and again my dog will hear something i dont and start barking, that can get me a wee bit paranoid lol :rolleyes:

Remember it was only a year or so ago that satanic/black witchcrafty things were found in Auchincruive woods.:(
Tom.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sod Slf whats this about Witchcraft!?!?!?!?!:rolleyes: Thanks for that thought just before I go out to the woods!
Dave
Alternative Ulster..........think I've got an Lp somewhere......for the younger members they were like cds but black alot bigger and a crappy sound!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
:sad6: :sad6: :sad6: :sad6:
Sod Slf whats this about Witchcraft!?!?!?!?!:rolleyes: Thanks for that thought just before I go out to the woods!
Dave
Alternative Ulster..........think I've got an Lp somewhere......for the younger members they were like cds but black alot bigger and a crappy sound!

The thing found in the woods was def' a 'suspect device'...certainly wasn't Wiccan but from the dark side.:sad6:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh, i don't know about the black stuff, i often think that some things had more 'oomph' through the needle...rose coloured specs?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
:lol: Most 'satanists' are just kids mucking about, not alot to worry about and pagans/wiccans won't say boo to a goose. I've come across both in the woods and the satanists pretty much have no clue about what they're doing, it just looks cool.

I did come across one once who was really into calling up the devil and would you believe it, he was more like a Jehovah witness, he tried to convert me!

Pagans are nothing to worry about, we generally revere nature and while we do leave signs of our presences, it's usually something small made of leaves and branches and definitely non-bloody :)

Wiccans are the most pink and fluffy of the lot, most tend to be vegans and apart from a preference for hugging puppies and trees, you can sometimes find them dancing naked around an oak tree calling to Cerunnos (god of the animals) and blaming Christians for persecuting their way of life :rolleyes: while at the same time texting their other 'Wiccan' friends on the latest mobile phone.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
:

Wiccans are the most pink and fluffy of the lot, most tend to be vegans and apart from a preference for hugging puppies and trees, you can sometimes find them dancing naked around an oak tree calling to Cerunnos (god of the animals) and blaming Christians for persecuting their way of life :rolleyes: while at the same time texting their other 'Wiccan' friends on the latest mobile phone.

It's 'Cernunnos' - enough n's are important and it's always good to get a god's name right, especially one who's a Spirit of the Sacred Animals...
As for texting - t'is why we have opposing thumbs!
(I'm not a Wiccan and I'm cr*p at texting.)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I often like to have something crafty to do.

leatherworking.jpg

Maybe a bit of leatherwork or carving some bone or antler.

I usually set it up in the light so I can carry on as it gets dark.

I'm often out to take photographs so sometimes that keeps me busy until after dark.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have never spent the night on my own in the woods. A couple of years ago on our first bivvying trip my mates car broke down and our respective wives (mine 6 months pregnant)were stranded and a tiny bit upset I believe. Neil had to pop off for an hour or so to sort the vehicle recovery etc.

It was a bit creepy but no problem really. I spent the time repeating the following phrase in my head:

"You are the scariest thing in the forest, You are the scariest thing in the forest"

Then when a shot gun rang out about 150m away I froze:eek: . I decided to light the Kelly Kettle in the noisiest most conspicuous way possible and if I saw movement I would shout out to alert the poachers to my presence.

Nothing did happen:werd: .

Neil got back we had a brew, drank some whiskey and snored the rest of the night away.

Dave where are you heading, is it in the shire?

Stewey.:D

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Last week found myself sat under a walnut tree in France, had been reading James May, From The Hard Shoulder, it amuses me. Got bored around dusk waiting for roe deer to appear from the maize and sun flowers and began whittling little gargoyles for no good reason.

With no idea what to do with the finished items I stuck them in cracks in the bark of the walnut trees, I'm now waiting for reports of satanic doings in France.:lmao:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry not hijacking this thread.....but Stewie yes mate just down the road mate, night walk early deer stalk etc.....not saying too much as of the legality issues!:lmao:
Not used the hammock over night so good opp to do so.My usual woods buddy is in Chamonix till Oct so on my own!
Dave
Ps Nice pic Wayland location?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It's 'Cernunnos' - enough n's are important and it's always good to get a god's name right, especially one who's a Spirit of the Sacred Animals...
As for texting - t'is why we have opposing thumbs!
(I'm not a Wiccan and I'm cr*p at texting.)

Cernunnos, of course. Thank you for the spell check. His other name is Herne, god of the hunt, not pretty little forest bunnies like most wiccans believe. The druids used to sacrifice animals in his name to ensure a good hunt.

I am biased however, I have had enough run-ins with wiccans spouting the rede and various 'ancient' texts to me which were made up in the 20th Century. The other soap box speech is that I 'should' hate Christians for the burning times and the current oppression?! The wiccan religion is only about 50 years old.

On the other hand I have met some older wiccans that have really done their homework and have found a religion that really means something to them rather than using it to shout about how oppressed they are, they use it to take care of themselves and the world around them.

I suppose that I just hate people how say they believe in one thing, get on their box shouting about that thing without researching and checking the facts first.

Sorry for the diversion of topic.

Back on topic now:
I tend to try whittling little animals out of dead wood and possibly reading a book until it gets to dark to see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE