Evening canal walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
At 8.30 tonight I realised that my wife was in the bath, and it was my turn to take the dog for a walk. Now, this is not a surprising thing, since it is my turn to take the dog out every night, without exception, and me being ill, as I am currently, doesn't change that.

I decided to get on with it, before temperatures dropped further, so grabbed a thick coat, a torch, and my bat detector, the latter because I knew the local bats are now out. I decided to take the dog in the car to a more rural stretch of the Monmouthshire and brecon canal.

Good decision. :)

There were Daubenton's bats by the dozen in places along the canal, skimming just above the water, swooping from head height to catch insects, whirring past my head, all completely oblivious to my Tesco cree torch. There were pipistrelles hunting along the woodland edges away from the canal, and at least three tawny owls all calling at once. In the canal and along the towpath there were frogs and toads, and at one point I had a chorus of owls, frogs, and the whirrs and clicks from the bat detector, and I found myself just standing still, watching and listening. Wonderful.

In addition, with the aid of the torch I was able to find all sorts of stuff under the canal bridges as well: two sorts of laceweb spider, including the big black Amaurobius ferox with its death's head markings; the largest of the false orb weaver spiders, Metellina meriane, including a beautiful example of the rare golden-banded colour form; there were snake millipedes, a banded snail, and two sorts of woodlice, plus all of the flying insects that the bats were feeding on.

It was wonderful.

And if I hadn't taken the torch or the bat detector, the only thing I would have noticed would have been the owls, despite the bats coming within a few feet of me.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Sounds lovely. It seems like everything has woken up and the countryside has come alive again this week.

I'm going to walk the stetch of canal near Llangynidr this weekend I think. Maybe I'll leave it until late and see what's about.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The bat detector is on form currently. Last night I was with a lad who said "What's that bat?"
I got most of the way through saying "There is no bat. the detector is on and and not registering anything" when I saw it too.
Thinks "There's only one UK species that wouldn't show up on the detector at this frequency, but it couldn't be a Lessr Horsehoe bat, they're too rare"
Twiddles frequency dial on bat detector. Loud unearthly warbling starts immediately (Google the sounds made by Lesser Horseshoe bats. Actually, 'google' is a good description)
"A lesser horseshoe bat!!!!!"

Made my night, and my week.

I'm off tonight to try to find it again, as I think it is a new record for the site.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
For a rare bat they seem to turn up in a lot of barn conversion projects I work on. Fussy little fellas too, I've just got a client permission to convert a small barn that currently supports a maternity roost of 25-30 Lesser Horseshoe Bats and the bats are basically getting their own bedroom that's bigger than the master bedroom will be. Hopefully they'll take to it though and with the extra space they'll have the colony should increase.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I've seen my first bat of the year this week. My mums so afraid of them. She thinks they will attack her and give her rabies, despite my attempts to convince her otherwise.

Thanks for sharing this nice story Harvestman.:)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For a rare bat they seem to turn up in a lot of barn conversion projects I work on. Fussy little fellas too, I've just got a client permission to convert a small barn that currently supports a maternity roost of 25-30 Lesser Horseshoe Bats and the bats are basically getting their own bedroom that's bigger than the master bedroom will be. Hopefully they'll take to it though and with the extra space they'll have the colony should increase.

Lesser Horseshoes are rare nationally, but can be abundant locally in the south west of the UK, and may be increasing in South Wales. Nationally they are still declining as they like to roost in old buildings, and barn conversions cause a lot of habitat loss for them. Sounds like your work is done properly and sensitively, which is good, as there must surely be room for both people and bats. Thanks for posting. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've seen my first bat of the year this week. My mums so afraid of them. She thinks they will attack her and give her rabies, despite my attempts to convince her otherwise.

Thanks for sharing this nice story Harvestman.:)

Tell her not to worry about rabies Niels, it's the draining her blood then rising again as a vampire that she has to worry about. You'll have to make her a necklace out of wild ramsons. :evilangel:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE