European regulation, enter and post how is it in your country

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
how many times???? http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

and for those that can't be bothered to click the link....Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide.... and that's a quote from the RSPB

Really? www.nytimes.com/2011/03/21/science/21birds.html

It would seem that a few organizations disagree. Including the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, the American Bird Conservancy, and the US Fish & Wildlife Service.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
how many times???? http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

and for those that can't be bothered to click the link....Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide.... and that's a quote from the RSPB

sorry, I know a top class predator when I see one.....i'v seen the localized reduction of bird and small mammal population with my own eyes

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
In Arizona I didn't mind the feral cats. Phoenix alone has an estimated population of over 1 million feral cats. Both in the city and out in the desert I put out just enough food for the stray cats to congregate but to still be hungry. It's been my observation that cats kill far more rodents than birds, and by an exponential amount. They would wipe out the rats and mice, then they would eradicate the gophers. I knew that all of the rats, mice, and gophers were eradicated when I started finding the bits and pieces of stripped jackrabbit (American Desert Hare) carcasses around. Occasionally they would nail a bird, and I would find the wreckage of that here and there, but birds were much harder for them to catch.

In a state where the health department passes around pamphlets that list a dozen very serious diseases carried locally by rats and mice, including a deadly form of Hanta and Bubonic Plague, you want the rats and mice wiped out.

When the rats and mice are gone, the rattlesnakes also don't bother coming near. In a state with 11 native species of rattlesnakes, that is important. Those things always find a way into your house, and for some reason they seem to have a preference for kitchen and laundry room. When living out in the desert, away from the city, I always kept a .22 revolver loaded with CCI .22LR shotshells in an upper cupboard in the kitchen. Those won't do any significant damage to the house, and they won't go through the side of a washing machine or even a kitchen cupboard but they will kill a rattlesnake.

One of the more odd things I've seen with feral cats is that sometimes they seem to tolerate the presence of skunks and possums, almost like they considered them to be another kind of cat. I've seen them just sit there while a skunk or possum walks right up to the cat food and have a snack, yet they slaughter everything thing else.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sorry guys, my intention was not to start a argument but to put some context into the number of birds killed by hunters in and around the med.

Using your data supplied in your link nitrambur
The most recent figures are from the Mammal Society, which estimates that the UK's cats catch up to 275 million prey items a year, of which 55 million are birds. This is the number of prey items that were known to have been caught; we don't know how many more the cats caught, but didn't bring home, or how many escaped but subsequently died.

So that's 55 million birds that are known to have been caught by cats in a year.
How many were were killed and not seen or documented, how many were injured and died later?
As we talking specifically about migratory birds it's also important to note that this is just in the UK, how many pet cats are there on these migratory routes, how many birds are they killing?

I think that in talking about how many migratory birds hunters are killing each year, it's important to put that number into context.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
any excuse by the cat hating trolls to voice their lies !

Yep, I just cruise the internet waiting for an opportunity to lie about cats :rolleyes:

For the record I have nothing against cats as a rule, but it is a fact that an awful lot of cat owners buy said cat and then simply turn it out and let it hunt and kill as it sees fit

Not trolling....that's just what happens the world over

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In Australia, cats are a plague. I love cats, but seriously they should never have been introduced to that country.

Not so sure about the UK. We have a very active hunting cat, occasionally catches birds but by far prefers furry creatures - squirrels and rats being his favourites.
He seems to ignore small birds, maybe due to being a 'farm' cat and hunting to eat rather than habit.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
iam with you on this one mate ! any excuse by the cat hating trolls to voice their lies !

Few things i'd like to clarify please.

1/ I bought up a topic that was intended to be used as a context for the number of small illegally killed by hunters.

2/ I have quoted a source that someone else has used to further their point

3/ You don't know me so how can you possibly know if i hate cats, for all you know i could run a cat rescue center

4/ Could you please tell me where i have lied?
Again i have quoted a paragraph out of a link that you yourself said
well answered marra !

5/ The "emotional" responses came after and were a direct attack on me personally rather than within the context of thread

Obviously the mods/admin have the last say on if anyone was "trolling" i trust their judgement.
But it does seem to be a trend on here lately that anyone disagreeing with another opinion jumps straight out and attacks the person directly.

Why attack someones credibility simply because you disagree, surely if a person opinion is THAT strong it should be able to stand up to questions and analysis, rather than jumping straight in with personal attacks?

To me jumping into a thread to call someone a troll is more in fitting with a trolls description than someone commenting in context on a thread.

For the record i nothing against any cat or any responsible cat owners.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would like to point out, that my recent post, which some found offensive, was aimed at those European hunters who blast away at songbirds with no regard for conservation, not those who hunt responsibly and sustainably. I have no objections to hunting per se.

Kiwi Tim

Oct 24, 2014
Taranaki
Back on topic.
In NZ you can have your fill of Possums 24 hours / 7days a week 52 weeks a year.
Trap shoot or run down.

Last edited:

leon-1

Laurentius said:
I would like to point out, that my recent post, which some found offensive, was aimed at those European hunters who blast away at songbirds with no regard for conservation, not those who hunt responsibly and sustainably. I have no objections to hunting per se.

Many thanks for the clarification on that.

I spent two and a half years in Cyprus and saw on a number of occasions the wholesale slaughter of anything that flew by some. Others were on the other hand considerably more focused on hunting in a far different way. I knew a chap from the SBA Police and he was quite despairing about how some of his countrymen viewed things.

We in the UK are governed by a number of things, not least the wildlife and countryside act 1981. The act itself also will list how prey species can be taken and what are considered to be prey species. It also lists under Schedule 9 of the list Non Native species which have no specific hunting season, some of which if caught in live capture traps it would be illegal to release back to the wild.

The use of snares have specific laws that run with them (2010 Snares order (Scotland)) which may only cover a part of the UK, Defra have stated that when the rules on snares change they will be published on their website. Also you need to know what constitutes a legal snare for your chosen prey species, how many strands does it require, make sure it is non locking , make sure it's free running and does it require to have a deer stop fitted.

The rules/laws for hunting Deer are also differing dependant on locality involving differences in calibres, grain, muzzle velocity and muzzle energy amongst other things.

Anyone considering hunting in the UK would do well to either read the wildlife and countryside act or consult DEFRA. Preferably both.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE