Good food and love bugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Every year I say to myself, I must go and do this, or I must go and see that and before I know it the month has past and so has the opportunity. So this year I am going out and doing as much as possible.

Gedney Drove End - Near Holbeach, Lincolnshire.

You know you're in the country when there is a duck crossing. It was great watching about 30 ducks stop traffic and slowly walk across. It was even more fun watching the ducks who weren't quite sure and turned back halfway across.
Untitled by Arborvita Online, on Flickr

The Marshes of the Wash in Lincolnshire. This specific area is used by the Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Team for training. The area is so flat I swear you can see the curvature of the earth. In the background is a man made island the RAF like to target practice on. The fighter planes can be see doing maneuvers quite regularly.

Our search for wild food will be Marsh Samphire (Glasswort). Probably my faviourite food. One of the few wild foods that are commercially sold in the UK. During July and August you can find it in restaurants and fish mongers. It tastes salty and is rich in goodness. Really easy to recognise once you know what you are looking for.

The Samphire carpets the marshes in large swathes. Your not allowed to uproot it. Bring some scissors. They are much safer and easier to use than a knife, speaking from experience. It's ok to collect for personal consumption. No commercial gathering allowed. Speaking of safety:
Check the weather forecast - If there is a storm coming. You don't want to be the tallest thing on the Marsh. You could get hit by lightening. Also, if there is heavy rain walking on the marsh is going to be a lot harder.
Beware the channels - It is impossible to tell what the tide is doing. You will see water running in all directions. Keep in talking and visual sight of all members. If you fall in a channel, you will need help getting out. People will not see you.
Go with a guide - It will make life a lot easier. I've been going for years and know the place very well. You have to read and understand the landscape.

You can get lost and disorientated quickly. So I stay alongside a main channel as a reference point.

Whose mouth isn't watering? Wrap it in newspaper and it will last a few days. Plastic bags make it sweat and rot. You can buy Samphire all year round in the supermarkets. The imported stuff is inferior and has little taste.

Steam for a few minutes until tender. Add a knob of butter and you have a fantastic meal. They have a woody stem so use your teeth to strip the green off.

Back to Cambridge and a trip to Cherry Hinton Chalk Pits to check out some very frisky bugs.

Chalk pits are strange environment almost desert like. I noticed the adjoining woods looked semi-ancient and worth another visit. There were loads of plants I didn't recognise.

Sun setting. The disco is about to begin. Love is in the air. The girls are getting ready and the boys are about to take flight.

The sun is set but it's not dark enough yet. So I knock up an impromptu bow-drill set. My aim is to successfully make a bow-drill set whenever I am out, for the practice. Foraged bits of unknown wood type. I have to give up as the mozzies were vicious and won the battle. But I did get smoke at the burring in point.

Meet the Glow Worms. Natures little wonder. Many people have no idea we have these in the UK. Throughout July and early august they can be seen.

Your looking at the female trying to attract a mate. Each night she will climb as high as possible, push out her rear end, give it a wiggle and make the night glow in the hope of meeting Mr right. She only has a few nights as she cannot feed. The female hasn't the ability to eat. If you find a glow worm. Don't pick it up or disturb it. Take some pictures and move on, letting her do her job.

Glowing doesn't make the males job of finding her easy. Light pollution causes distraction and confusion.

A night glow worm hunting can be a great family outing. If you want to find out where the nearest ones are to you, visit http://www.glowworms.org.uk/ There are still maybe 2-3 weeks left to see them.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks for sharing! Nice write-up. I love the glow worms. I`ve never seen them myself, but would really like to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE