European bears

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Having grown up in Britain I've always considered that the most dangerous animal I'll find in the outdoors is humans, with the occasional poorly trained canine familiaris. However as I find myself increasingly looking across the channel for adventure (for reasons that can't be understood it's cheaper to goto the Pyrenees than the peak district...).

Reading up recently on animal tracks I discovered that the European brown bear is in general doing quite well in Europe (some populations are under threat however). I've always associated bears with either America, or the high Arctic. In the us hikers carry bear spray, bear canisters and keep food in bear bags. In Europe, are there areas where I should be following similar processes? Are European bears something I should worry about?

Anything else I should worry about?

J

Just to point out that if you were to obtain some bear spray and bring it back with you to the UK it is forbidden under the Firearms Act. Possession is treated as seriously as having an illegal firearm in your possession and potentially a mandatory 5 years in prison.

Happy days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just to point out that if you were to obtain some bear spray and bring it back with you to the UK it is forbidden under the Firearms Act. Possession is treated as seriously as having an illegal firearm in your possession and potentially a mandatory 5 years in prison.

Happy days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And possibly in other countries as well. Hence post #3 above. That said, Amazon lists it for $26 and up. (about 17 pounds) Might be cheap enough to buy it wherever legal and consider it as just another trip expense if you have to trash it before returning home. Especially if you can recover some of the cost selling it on to the next traveler.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE