Eurocamp Independant

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys,

I am getting married in June this year to my lovely lady of 10 years and 4 children lol!!

Instead of the normal toaster and clock we have asked if people want to give us something to bung a couple of quid in a card, which is something I really didnt want to do as I hate asking for anything let alone money!!!

As we have 4 kids (girls) instead of the normal dirty weekend away or honeymoon we are planning on taking the abroad for a holiday somewhere.
Hence the question, has anyone stayed at a Eurocamp before? we are looking to goto Brittney or Vendhees.
Did you take your own tent or stay in one of theres?

As far as I see it there are pros and cons for both, taking my own stuff I no exactly how comfortable I will be and what we have, and its a little cheaper but not much!!
If I stay in there canvas hotel I have not got to worry about setting up or anything, just get there and unpack!!

As per usual any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks
Steve

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
My parents took us to France practically every year when we were kids. I absolutely loved it! The big canvas hotels are fantastic and would thoroughly recommend them (especially with kids) as they cut out so much hassle (and arguments) when you arrive. If I remember correctly, they give you just about everything you will need - beds, hob/grill, fridge, electrics, cutlery, plates etc, etc...

Funnily enough, it was mainly Brittany we went to for our hols - they area is beautiful and the coastline is just outstanding. Loads to see and do. You'll have a blast!

Cheers

Dr O

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My brother-in-law did the 'Eurocamp' thing, for years. And he swears by them. First day, Drive there unpack, relax, last day, pack relax drive home. Simples. less stress less hassle, and his four kids loved it. Pillows was the only extra he took I think, as they never give you enough.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
To be honest its not really my cup of tea either, when we camp in this country we generally go for nice quiet sites fairly out of the way, but this is a special holiday and I want it to be a blast for my kids and something they truly remember from there first faily trip abroad!!
I will just enjoy watching my girls have fun, that will be more than enough for me!!
And for me, as long as I am under canvas Im a happy boy!!
I was quite suprised just how cheap the holidays were to!
Cheers
Steve

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
We did it once in Luxemburg with the kids.
If I had to go to camping again, I would chose one of their's again. No hassle and like said; arrive, unpack and kick up your feet. Their gear was good and complete.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
One of the chaps who works for me does it for one holiday every year, now all his kids are grown he is looking forward to his first trip with the grandkids! He reckons that if you take part in the games etc activities you can easily fill a holiday with only couple of days out and meet a whole new circle of international friends and it is great for younger teenagers. Not really my cup of tea but sounds like a solution for a family break.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Did the Eurocamp thing to Brittany a number of years ago... The tents were in great condition, weather great and staff were all
British Uni. students who couldn't be more helpful or friendly... Recommend it any time.
Only thing was speed limits - I was dividing by 5 and multiplying by 8..... :11doh:
But we got there in 8 hours, and only passed one gendarme..... :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The wife used to work on those sites for a couple of years, six week hols for the price of a coach was a real bonus when I visited.

I'd pick a site near to some alternative attractions, when it's peeing it down for two weeks you'll be glad of a change of scenery.

Le Vieux Port was nice, right next to the beach, La Polombiere near Sarlat was very quiet but some great exploring in the Dordogne. La Baume was the party site and probably not the best for young uns. There was one more too but I can't remember the name, I'll ask Carol when she gets in.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You'll meet plenty of the people you went abroad to get away from. Eurocamp and clones have ruined many a good site by squeezing real campers out. Go and have a good time, but don't confuse the eurocamp experience with proper camping.

I think that's a bit harsh - Eurocamping can be a good way for a family to get into camping and test the waters. I never went myself but as a boy we had a trailer tent and I've stayed on many sites then and since that have a quota of the eurocamp or equivalent tents. They always seemed well run by considerate reps, with good crèche facilities. Some would consider it glamping but it's hardly featherdown farm.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You'll meet plenty of the people you went abroad to get away from. Eurocamp and clones have ruined many a good site by squeezing real campers out. Go and have a good time, but don't confuse the eurocamp experience with proper camping.

Oh god no, I fully appreciate exactly what this sort of place is!! And like I have said I want it to be a very memorable trip for my girls more than myself!!
I have plent of time to do the proper camping thing, as I have done for many years but this one is for them!!
I no I will enjoy it just as much too lol!
The plus side for me is just sleeping under the canvas and enjoying being there with my little family!!

Cheers
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I think this is the site we are going to stay at -

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/sites/france-brittany/bs012-pointe-st-gilles.html

Looks like a good comprimise between travelling and price and the facilities!!
Massive site though!!
Anyone stayed there or no much about the area? Unfortunately in my ignorance I no nothing at all about brittany/France other than the normal tourist stuff everyon knows!! Its never really appealed to me before!!
Thanks for all the replys so far guys!!

All the best
Steve

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Massive site though!!
Anyone stayed there or no much about the area? Unfortunately in my ignorance I no nothing at all about brittany/France other than the normal tourist stuff everyon knows!! Its never really appealed to me before!!

All the best
Steve

Carnac a bit further down the coast is interesting - the standing stones are worth a visit. You used to be able to walk among them but I think they have restricted access now. Still a site worth seeing though.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
We took the kids to a Eurocamp site in the south of france a couple of times when they were younger. Brilliant holiday - tents were great and lots of activities for the kids to do on-site (which frees up a bit of "personal" time for the parents!).

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
We took the kids to a Eurocamp site in the south of france a couple of times when they were younger. Brilliant holiday - tents were great and lots of activities for the kids to do on-site (which frees up a bit of "personal" time for the parents!).

Now that is right up my street!! cant beat a bit of 'personal time' for the parents lol
I think I have finally sussed, 12 nights in brittiney, ferry from plymouth to Roscoff, staying in 1 of there super tents comes in at around the 700quid mark which I think is pretty damn good for 6 of us!!
Just gotta double check with the boss that she still wants to go!
Cheers
Steve

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks

Massive site though!!

All the best
Steve

Wow, I was there many moons ago at that exact site - looks like they have improved a lot of the amenities since i was there. Still, we all had an absolute blast, so with the improvements, I think you can't really go wrong!

As mountainm says, Carnac is worth a visit for "les menhirs" - it is a bit more restricted now and you can't just wander through them anymore but it's still an interesting place to visit - much more impressive than Stonehenge, there are lines and lines of the blighters!

Concarneau about 10 miles away is worth a visit too - a medieval walled town - it's pretty interesting (or at least I thought it was)!

You will have a great time

If you want any more info just PM me - I spent about 15 summers in France all told in my youth and I go back frequently now with my good lady and sometimes with our friends - it's a very relaxed pace of life in Brittany. Good for recharging the old batteries!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE