Eswing Axe Refurb.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've been showing this as a WIP on other forums so some of you good folks will have seen it before. Thought I should really post it on here as I know some of you guys like axes. I was gifted this tool by Nice65 on British Blades. It has served him well for over 30 years and has seen some hard use....Very hard use! The stacked leather handle had perished over the years and the hammer had been mushroomed out a bit with some seriously heavy battoning. Still some life left in the old girl yet in my opinion,so I thought I'd have ago at fixing her up and giving her another 30 years of damn hard thrashing!;) I've never fixed up any tool before, let alone an axe so this is a first for me!!I had to grind off the pommel plate rivets as I wanted to make a stacked handle.Started to tidy up the steel.Decided to go with key-stone shaped ( to follow the handle curve ) jade G10 blocks, black rubber spacers and stainless steel bolster,pommel plate, lanyard tube, pin and pommel bolts.This is where I'm at just now. Still a bit to go yet. Shaping and finishing etc. Almost finished the leather mask as well. I don't have a sash-cramp so I had to use a Spanish windlass to compress the handle whilst the glue set. Bit of a panic moment! 19 parts to glue, assemble and compress and only 4 minutes till the glue started to set. This pic was taken later as I just didn't have the time during the process. I had started to tidy the handle up and my daughter wanted to know about the windlass so I set it up again and took this pic.

I'll continue the thread as a WIP. Any comments, tips or general drunken weekend abuse will be taken on board or just ignored depending on how drunk I get!;)

Darren.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent! You won't get any drunken abuse from me on this one, I look forward to seeing it done........Nice job. :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've got one of those! Superb little axes and they take a huge amount of welly for their size. They're not the best felling axe, for certain, but for a very lightweight hatchet which will lend itself to everything from splitting to carving if asked to they're ace.

Mine has a bit of a nick in the edge at the moment and I thought I'd a lot of work to do to bring it back... thanks for the sanity check as mine is pristine compared with how yours started! :D

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks folks! I've had the blue nylon handled axe for about 25 years. Certainly punches above it's weight. That's why I was happy to have a go at fixing this one up. That said, it's going to be a user, not an ornament.

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
Thats a cracking job, mate. Definitely a huge improvement as well as rescue. That jade g10 is lovely and set off really well against the black spacers. Will you be polishing more or leaving it for grip? Did you post a knife with scales made from that stuff on ukblades forum too? That was drool-worthy, they make a very stylish set.

I seen your WIP on Britishblades but couldn't reply there (registered for years but can't get my account activated, despite several emails to admin). Keep it up mate, love seeing your work.

All the best.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks Greencloud! Yeah, I think I've used this jade G10 on four knives so far. I think the knife you're talking about is the Bullshark clone that I made last year. It would make a good match for the axe. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for an estwing hammer with the handle falling apart. Be nice to have the set!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Well, pretty much done. I could spend a bit more time finishing and polishing but this is going to be a user, not an ornament so not much point. I'm very pleased at how it's turned out.I enjoyed making my first leather axe mask as well. Thanks again Nice65 for gifting me this axe! Very much appreciated mate!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE