Estonia TR; living with bears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This Easter saw Bare Thrills, Jacko1066 and myself Easyjetting off to the Baltic to explore the forested delights of the still frozen Estonia.

estonia_zps7bfad1d9.png

I'm very fortunate to have travelled most of Norway, Sweden and Finland over the years in summer and winter. Estonia was new territory and would have a hard time living up to Scandinavia's beauty I thought. I was wrong I'm happy to say. What it lacks in mountains, it makes up for with epic forests, lots of wildlife and flora and fauna.

As a cold lover, I was over the moon with the weather this year over there. Just like at home, Estonia and eastern Europe has seen winter hang around and everything was still well frozen. -20c was a possibilty and so plenty of kit was taken. The hire car gave us all the option to store unused kit without having to carry it and so as long as we hit the 20kg weight limit on the Easyjet allowance, all was good.
Easyjet also has no weight restriction on hand baggage and this gave much extra flexibilty.

Paul (Bare Thrills) has already done a sterling job on the trip report. Suffering with near terminal man flu, I see no reason to duplicate it or the pictures so I'll just add some more piccies

Through the round window; a still frozen Sweden.
estonia2013005_zps86f4929a.jpg

Western Estonia with snow cover.
estonia2013010_zps5cd1aafe.jpg

Bare Thrills (Paul) and Jacko1066 (Steve) next to the Veedub hire car
estonia2013011_zps029b6a6b.jpg

Late evening on the shores of the frozen Baltic;
estonia2013015_zps16ac13f6.jpg

"I have the power to freeze the sea!"
estonia2013016_zps34426bf4.jpg

Airing gear in the sun and some baltic man love.
estonia2013023_zps28bd4a8a.jpg

Bear sized wraps. These could double as Lavvu groundsheets!
estonia2013037_zps21911ec9.jpg

Walking a frozen Peninsula. Northern most point of Estonia.
estonia2013041_zps3e88b174.jpg

Paul revelling in Steves ginormous fart.
estonia2013045_zps85f70004.jpg

I love the colours in this pic.
estonia2013046_zps98bd40f5.jpg

Panorama
estonia2013051_zps4b122e49.jpg

A typical Estonian back road.
estonia2013062_zps9191d74f.jpg

A little snow and man flu meant the tarp and cordage came out over my hammock..
estonia2013066_zps7ce9ca11.jpg

Jaan, Paul and Mikael enjoying the snow.
estonia2013068_zps040e3ea2.jpg

Estonian beavers are hungry.
estonia2013074_zpsa1096bae.jpg

Well, well well, Its Paul Wella. Drews pack list came in very handy.
estonia2013081_zps2dc1577e.jpg

My camp at Oandu
estonia2013088_zps42978079.jpg

Steves Lavvu for the night.
estonia2013103_zps607d9010.jpg

Tarped up again. The dark patches on the tarp are Seamgrip repairs from a Scotland trip.
estonia2013114_zpsc46b26fc.jpg

How an oven should look.
estonia2013118_zps13906465.jpg

Well marked walking trails.
estonia2013137_zps90419224.jpg

Rest shelters aplenty.
estonia2013138_zpsda04dfe7.jpg

Evidence of bears everywhere. This one was looking for ants.
estonia2013140_zpse78397ca.jpg

Primary boreal forest in the snow. Sets my spine tingling.
estonia2013144_zpse52e6287.jpg

Traditional wolf trap
estonia2013146_zpsfad682d0.jpg

estonia2013147_zps8a26d441.jpg

I can't help thinking a desperate wolf would chew through the wood to escape. Maybe they uses a noose to fortify the trap?
estonia2013148_zps73789b1a.jpg

Huge Birches everywhere
estonia2013150_zpsff74e86a.jpg

Chaga!
estonia2013153_zps132fd8d3.jpg

Signs of Woody were everywhere.
estonia2013155_zps334dd458.jpg

Estonian Pine Resin harvesting.
estonia2013158_zps0ee96bd3.jpg

estonia2013159_zpsb2020f79.jpg

estonia2013160_zpsfed3106a.jpg

Woody has taken to ballistics!
estonia2013163_zpsa1e864b2.jpg

The Beavers ice hole and lodge entrance just behind. This was 20m from our camp.
estonia2013177_zps2caa8aca.jpg

Our last camp location.
estonia2013193_zpsa921917f.jpg

Estonian main road.
estonia2013202_zps0f9b78ba.jpg

All pics taken on a Fuji f660 finepix

Estonia was a cracking trip and one to remember. The company throughout was brilliant and it was an absolute pleasure to meet Jaan of this parish and Mikael.

I've come away from it with a genuine desire to return before long. Estonia for the bushcrafter really makes sense. It very much reminds me of lots of Finland and Sweden, but the food and transport are much cheaper and the country much less populated. The old growth forest is every bit as impressive as I've seen anywhere and is easier to penetrate and explore. Estonia is highly recommended.

Thanks for looking.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fine fine pics mate, have you got a new camera?

Estonia looks stunning, I'll make it along one year

Good to see your tarp still going strong, I nearly cried when I saw the damage that day.

Bivvying at Sween on the 19th if you're up for it, usual crew

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Bopdude :)

Fine fine pics mate, have you got a new camera?

Estonia looks stunning, I make it along one year

Good to see your tarp still going strong, I nearly cried when I saw the damage that day.

Bivvying at Sween on the 19th if you're up for it, usual crew

Cheers dude :)
I borrowed this one, its miles better than the old Nikon 5200 and the anti-shake is excellent even at full zoom. The borrow is likely to be a buy after seeing the pics come out-the colours are really good and I like the menu :)

Yes, you should do Estonia. A long distance walk is on my list sometime, south to north outside of bug season. Sween sounds great and ties in well-missing Scotland already mate and it'll get me out paddling again on the river now the levels are sensible again.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sween sounds great and ties in well-missing Scotland already mate and it'll get me out paddling again on the river now the levels are sensible again.

Good man, I'll bung you a PM with details at some point. Basically if the wind is up again we'll leave the boats at home, ditch the cars in the FC car park and take a short half hour walk into the last camp we were at. I'm even considering leave the hammy at home and going back to basics with a bivvy for a change :yikes:

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
great picks and a good Write up Pete looks like you guys had a great time. thanks for sharing look forward to the stories round the camp fire.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Thats looks great mate. My kinda trip
You got me thinking about Estonia now :)

You are right about a noose with the wolf trap , this is a youtube channel link from a first nations trapper who uses the same trap for wolves,Lynx and wolverine http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWildNorth he uses a noose with counter weight .
Some good vids there

Last edited:

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Great pictures! :)

Just remind me to take a vacation the next time some of you come so I can spend more time in the woods with you!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cracking pics mate. I think your camera deffo has the edge on the long exposures and as you say the colours are superb. Thanks for filling in the gaps. Its nice to see a few pics of me as i didnt seem to get many. The forest at Oandu looks great, i just wish id been there on the last day but it was one walk too far for my battered feet. goodjob

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the comments guys :)

@Jaan- thats a promise. You were a great guide and a great ambassador. If you ever get over to these shores, you will be treated like bushcraft royalty ;)

@ Shewie-That sounds like a plan. PM incoming.

@Salad-nice link. Its such a good idea for a trap.

@Paul- Cheers mate. I had 200 odd in the end, lots duplicated yours though. I'll send you the link for my p-bucket account and you can use what you want mate ;)
I've got back and the camera is still showing full batttery after 200 shots! unbelievable! I wonder if yours has a slightly better contrast though? I'm chuffed-the ratiio of crap to good photos has fallen a lot and thats on my first use of it :)
Hows the foot getting on now? Looking back, we could have got away with walking boots and gaiters. They'd have laughed at the conditions we had but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
yea my camera is still showing full and i did 230 pics. I never really looked after it in the cold either and it spent most nights exposed to the temps. That was the thing that really surprised me. All my electricals were abused and not kept warm and functioned perfectly. Li-ion and Li-po are great in the cold. my life-po4 zebra batts were not great but they were low mah to begin with.

Foot is mending very quickly now and didnt trouble me on the dog walk this morning. im going to try my sorel inners in the wiggies and see if i can cobble together a pair that work. Looking at the inside of the sorels its easy to see why they hurt. where the upper and lower join there is a huge raised seam which is just in the right place to kill me. The boots were very very warm though (when inners were dry).

One other thing i forgot to mention in my report was how well the dried baby wipes work in the toilet bag. one pack of 80 did me the week and all i carried extra were 2 small anti bac wipe packs that weighed nowt. Thanks for the tip on those. I still miss the long drops in the woods. Staring at the back of the bathroom door just isnt the same.

Hope you are on the mend soon mate.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What is it with Pac boot manufacturers? I'm on the hunt for something decent but I'm struggling. There aren't many custom makers either. Canada is the obvious place to look but they have really narrow feet compared to us it seems.

My Meindls are shocking and all that sealant has broken away in the heel again :(

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cracking piccys Pete, I didnt relise that was your first time of using mate!! It looked like you have used it for years!!!

Again thanks for everything you did for me!! Your a star!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What is it with Pac boot manufacturers? I'm on the hunt for something decent but I'm struggling. There aren't many custom makers either. Canada is the obvious place to look but they have really narrow feet compared to us it seems.

My Meindls are shocking and all that sealant has broken away in the heel again :(

What about some traditional Canadian mukluks, would they be an option?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cracking piccys Pete, I didnt relise that was your first time of using mate!! It looked like you have used it for years!!!

Again thanks for everything you did for me!! Your a star!!

No probs mate :)

What about some traditional Canadian mukluks, would they be an option?

Yes mate, although they suffer with overflow on frozen ice. I keep coming back to mukluks and Neos overboots for slush as an option, although I've been reading on wintertrekking that the Neos are a pain with snowshoes.

Footwear is proving to be a real pain and so far, top names are proving very unreliable for me. My Baffin Doug Stoups are epic but just too warm at over -15c.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cracking pics, great report and it looks like an amazing time. Nice work to all three of you :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE