Estonia Kit List - Comments Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I dont think we will have a problem chaps unless its unseasonaly warm. im not taking owt for that (famous last words) but my tick tweezers are always in my fak anyway.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I dont think we will have a problem chaps unless its unseasonaly warm. im not taking owt for that (famous last words) but my tick tweezers are always in my fak anyway.

After chasing 3 mozzies round my bedroom last night and not the first time this year, I'm sleeping with Wilma :)

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Don't worry about the mosquitoes. Late May and the whole month of June are the worst offenders. If too many people don't get eaten in June, then the beginning of July can be pretty bad too. But generally from March to June it's okay and from August to October too. In July and August the blackflies, horseflies and deerflies come out, but at least you can feel them landing on you and they are slower fliers so it's easy to kill them. They hurt A LOT more though. And if you hear the rumble of a 4cm long specimen, then you run.

If you'd like to have a proper camping trip in Estonia and go to a broad-leafed forest in June without a mosquito net and sleep next to a small pool of water of some sort then you're going to have a bad time.

The ticks though are another story - they come out as soon as it's no longer freezing at night, but can easily be avoided. Even with major bushwhacking I've only managed to get one in my armpit over the years. Just do a regular check-up every day and spray your ankles and around your forearms with some tick repellent. Then they won't have any place to crawl up on.

I usually always wear pants when in the forest, avoid tall grass, put on a hood when I'm walking under low hanging leafy branches and raise my arms up if I do have to go through some thick vegetation. It has worked so far and I hope it continues to work! :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What do you chaps think about a storm kettle for the trip?

Or don't you think the weight penalty would be worth it?

I'm thinking about the 1 litre version

Missed this. :rolleyes:

I've only seen the 1.5l burning but I like it. Whether its worth the weight is questionable to me. It won't help you lose any pack weight dude ;)

I'm taking my cat stoves (6g each; 1 simmer, 1 fast boil ) and getting some meths. Just for morning brews and trips out.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Don't worry about the mosquitoes. Late May and the whole month of June are the worst offenders. If too many people don't get eaten in June, then the beginning of July can be pretty bad too. But generally from March to June it's okay and from August to October too. In July and August the blackflies, horseflies and deerflies come out, but at least you can feel them landing on you and they are slower fliers so it's easy to kill them. They hurt A LOT more though. And if you hear the rumble of a 4cm long specimen, then you run.

If you'd like to have a proper camping trip in Estonia and go to a broad-leafed forest in June without a mosquito net and sleep next to a small pool of water of some sort then you're going to have a bad time.

The ticks though are another story - they come out as soon as it's no longer freezing at night, but can easily be avoided. Even with major bushwhacking I've only managed to get one in my armpit over the years. Just do a regular check-up every day and spray your ankles and around your forearms with some tick repellent. Then they won't have any place to crawl up on.

I usually always wear pants when in the forest, avoid tall grass, put on a hood when I'm walking under low hanging leafy branches and raise my arms up if I do have to go through some thick vegetation. It has worked so far and I hope it continues to work! :)

I'm still a tick virgin. :dancer:

Long may it continue. :D

30 odd years of messing about outside, I must smell reeeal bad to them. I'll get munched one day, hopefully not in Estonia. :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Missed this. :rolleyes:

I've only seen the 1.5l burning but I like it. Whether its worth the weight is questionable to me. It won't help you lose any pack weight dude ;)

I'm taking my cat stoves (6g each; 1 simmer, 1 fast boil ) and getting some meths. Just for morning brews and trips out.

Yep im the same. Evernew meths stove for a quick brew and porridge etc. Meths is only 3 euro a litre.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Has the new shiny toys turned up yet Paul?

The weight of a 1 litre storm kettle I 800 grams Pete.

I'm still not decided!!

Yep its here :)

1.5l eagle kettle boiled in 9 mins. ideal for when we are out walking. Thirsty on meths though. But at 80g all in im really happy with it. For the price im glad it was other peoples cash i spent tho

20130308_132048_zps4829f9d0.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The weight of a 1 litre storm kettle I 800 grams Pete.

I'm still not decided!!

tbh mate i reckon its probably a bit of a faff. you want to just get a brew on most of the time and building a fire in your kettle in the morning will be a pain in the bottom. Im taking my 1.5l eagle kettle as it fits inside the group 2.5l pot. If you want it to have a play with though and can find the space for it knock yourself out :D

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Far too early to have any certainty at all, but some charts are starting to come into range.

t2mHelsinki.png

maxtemp.png

20c not looking very likely ATM, hope this holds. :puppy_dog

Strongish signals for this easterly to continue well into the start of April.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well boredom set in this afternoon so ive had a full test pack at what will hopefully be a worst case weather scenario.

Ive played with my kitlist so much since the first one went up that its hardly the same as before. lots of things added and taken away but essentially its got a bit heavier and ive got a few more items of group kit that are luxury items such as a 1.5l eagle kettle. Ive also added a 500ml flask and nalgene bottle as they are likely to come in handy

anyhow assuming temps down to -15 it all fits and there is room left for food. Its a relief to know my worldly goods fit into the space available :)

20130310_160057-1_zps2773f580.jpg

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looking good :)

I bet the wood stove is a swine to get in.

Much the same with packing here, I'm going through stuff ATM. My flask, bladder and puriier have got the chop in favour of 2 insulated Nalgenes to use as hot water bottles If I need and sterilising tabs.

Underquilts, Mora, pack stays, 2 spare socks and spare gruds gone too. I'm off to see what else I can throw out :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Looking good :)

I bet the wood stove is a swine to get in.

Much the same with packing here, I'm going through stuff ATM. My flask, bladder and puriier have got the chop in favour of 2 insulated Nalgenes to use as hot water bottles If I need and sterilising tabs.

Underquilts, Mora, pack stays, 2 spare socks and spare gruds gone too. I'm off to see what else I can throw out :)

So exactly how many spare socks and gruds are you taking now mate?

I'm still considering fresh every day lol

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Fresh every day goesnt need to be 7 pairs. One on one in wash one spare.

I have 2 boxers 2 socks and a spare base layer in my pack.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
You may have problems drying your undies if you're not taking a wood-stove for the tent!

Could always hang them over the car hot air vents, I suppose!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE