Escargot recipies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I've been using a biological anti snail method on my veg patch, namely eating them, after all they're recycled lettuices, and want to vary the way I cook them so any recipies / ways of cooking them would be appreciated.

The way that I've having them so far is fried in butter with a bit of garlic.

Any other suggestions out there???

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
The traditional (this may be what you are doing already)
Butter of Escargot "a la Burgundy"

1 kilogram of butter (about 2 lbs)
25 grams of salt
5 grams of black pepper
150 grams of garlic
35 grams of shallot or scallions
90 grams of parsley

Garlic, shallot and parsley are chopped very fine. The whole is well mixed.
(Personal proportions can be modified. For example some people prefer have more shallots)
In each empty shell, place a little of this butter. Then push a cooked escargot into the shell. Fill the remaining space in the shell completely and smoothly with butter. Usually 5 grams are used for a shell (a tea spoon). Put in the oven (200 °C or 390 °F) just enough time needed to melt the butter. Serve immediately in special plates with holes. (Snails are picked with a special little fork).

Brochettes (skewers) of Escargots

Small wooden pikes
Parsley, garlic, shallots (scallions) and breadcrumbs.
Salt and pepper.
Oil.
Chop the garlic, the parsley and the shallots and mix with the breadcrumbs.
Drain the escargot without drying them and put them on the pikes.
Roll the skewers in the mixture above.
Fry the breaded escargot in oil.
( 1/2 litre of oil in casserole, heat moderately : oil should not smoke).
Fry until each one is golden.
Serve hot!

Or try RECIPELAND
Snail fritters, snail omlettes, snails in puff pastry shells....
:)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'm sure you know about the process of cleaning snails t improve the taste and remove bits of grit etc.

Take your snails, and put them in a box thas lined with bread, lightly sprinkled with some milk, and/or some fresh green leaves (non-toxic to humans!)

Leave them there for at least 24 hours - they should eat the bread/leaves and pass any soil etc out of their digestive tracts, making them tastier.

(I suppose you could feed them tasty herbs and see if you can flavour them BEFORE you cooked them? ;) )

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
match said:
(I suppose you could feed them tasty herbs and see if you can flavour them BEFORE you cooked them? ;) )

That's exactly right. Haven't tried it myself, but wild garlic is supposed to be excellent.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just got home and dug out some more recipes from my books - this one's from 'Food from the Wild' by Judy Urquhart:

Escargot Petits Gris avec Vin Rouge

Cover snails with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes, then plunge into cold water to stop the cooking. Remove from the shells, wash well and drain. Quickly fry streaky bacon, mushrooms, onions, thyme, sage and bay leaf, put in a casserole dish, add the snails and cover with a good red wine.

Cook in the oven on a low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Rebel said:
You can also eat slugs using the same methods and recipes.

I like mine baked in butter and garlic myself. :)

Sweet jesus! You mean the black disgusting things that eat all my potted plants?! What do they taste like? or do you mean you can eat them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
redcollective said:
Sweet jesus! You mean the black disgusting things that eat all my potted plants?! What do they taste like? or do you mean you can eat them.

Yes you can eat them, but snails are a lot nicer to look at and handle. :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
If you're proper gourmet you could try the recipe for snail porridge on the BBC food website that was made famous by Heston Blumenthal (head chef of the 3 Michelin starred Fat Duck, the best restaurant in the world according to some)

Sorry, too tired to dig out the URL, you should find it easy enough.

Regards,
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE