Epic fatwood haul

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That pile has quadrupled since I took the photo. At least, it had, but I've been busy splitting and sawing, so it's reduced a bit. Think I've cleared a path to the stable doors anyway (once I've picked up the split logs and put them in the log bay I've emptied).

Sadly, most of the fatwood will just end up on the fire in due course as don't have the patience to separate it all out.

Go canny burning a lot at a time. When we were clearing some land we were pulling up loads of old pine stumps. (When they've rotted down to star shaped remnants) They're basically fatwood. Once dried I was burning them in the grate and it ended up melting the grate in the fireplace as they burned so hot. Another friend who was burning the same ended up melting the flue in his chimney. Brilliant fire though, could read a book by it in a darkened room it was so bright and hot.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Go canny burning a lot at a time. When we were clearing some land we were pulling up loads of old pine stumps. (When they've rotted down to star shaped remnants) They're basically fatwood......

Those stumps are where we harvested 100% of our lightard when I was growing up. Most folks would just look for them and cut off sacks full to take home as they needed it. We were a bit luckier though! Daddy's job as a heavy equipment operator (bulldozer driver) meant that he pushed up entire stumps regularly and brought them home for me to chop out kindling from.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Those stumps are where we harvested 100% of our lightard when I was growing up. Most folks would just look for them and cut off sacks full to take home as they needed it. We were a bit luckier though! Daddy's job as a heavy equipment operator (bulldozer driver) meant that he pushed up entire stumps regularly and brought them home for me to chop out kindling from.

Over here they're generally referred to as star roots though in my area they're called greasy roots.
Some of the timbers that are pulled out of bogs are the remnants of trees from hundreds, sometimes thousands of years ago. Seems a crime to burn them sometimes, sure that some dendrochronologists would think so.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over here they're generally referred to as star roots though in my area they're called greasy roots.
Some of the timbers that are pulled out of bogs are the remnants of trees from hundreds, sometimes thousands of years ago. Seems a crime to burn them sometimes, sure that some dendrochronologists would think so.

Much the same here other than the terminology.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE