Enzo blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg598

Native
Javapuntnl,
A secondary bevel should solve that problem. Keep in mind that it will always be more brittle than a 1095 blade with the same grind, but with the secondary, it should stop rolling and chipping.

The Trapper is a short blade, so this is not as much of a problem for you, but a D2 blade will also take less lateral force before failing. That is especially true in cold temperature. I would avoid batonning with it under such conditions. Again, not a big problem with a short blade like the Trapper.

I have bought a few knives in D2 before, including some customs from good UK makers and had edge chipping problems with most of them,,as a matter of fact if I see a knife made of D2 now I refuse to buy it..it's not just a HT thing as I've had them from 3 or 4 makers with the same problem, (never an Enzo though) but I have found that a small secondary will help a lot but if you have your heart set on a zero I wouldn't get one made from D2..

Finnman

May 22, 2009
Finland
I have Trapper D2 scandi and I got it chipped badly in my first test with dry juniper. Then I fixed nicks (took ages) and add tiny secondary convex bevel on it and it have done fine now.

3584541651_dcb2f1c883_o.jpg

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
yep. I reckon D2 was never meant for a zero grind - the carbides are just too big. Its a bit like the rule about using 01 lots in saltwater - its going to rust (so we don't choose 01 if we work alot in such an environment). So its the same with D2 in a way but the rule is: don't go scandi zero on it or it will not have enough matter around the large carbides to keep them in place. I've never, ever had a problem with my Enzo with a small secondary. Lovely blade. So well balanced. Keeps an edge for an age and is okay to look after.

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
Update:
I've since put on a secondary bevel and so far the the results are night and day. I gave the knife a pretty strenuous workout this morning and no chipping what so ever, in fact, the edge is still shaving sharp. Incredible!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I got a O1 Trapper as I didn't want the risk of chipping.

I love it to bits! Its such a nice knife to use, be it just cutting or carving.

I'm actually abut to get a D2 flat grind Trapper, looks interesting and it'll be my first D2 blade cant moan at £50 for the blade, don't know what to use for the handle yet, I'm thinking walnut. I'll use red liners and Corby brass rivets. I'll probably get the sheath that Brisa sell with there kits as I really like the one that came with my current enzo.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Oh wow, I realllllllly want one of those basic kits, total bargain !! And great fun constructing it and watching it take shape.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Steady steady steady chaps, D2 is fine for use with a scandi zero grind.

Ive used a d2 enzo on real hard stuff with no probs.

The problem here is that that blade was never designed for a zero grind, 01, d2 and pretty much any steel will chip at the edge when sharpened to zero ant the angle that primary bevel is.

Dennis does blades with the correct angle for zero grind, that one was ground for use with secondary bevel.

Come on guys lets see the true problem before blaming the steel:)

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I have 2 Enzo's both 01 trappers, and i love them both dearly......

They have put up with some punishment, sharpen easy and look the biz.....

I handled mine in zebrano, and Hawthorn. Both really nice lookers, but i love the Hawthorn, it just feels so nice....:)

Mark

Steady steady steady chaps, D2 is fine for use with a scandi zero grind.

Ive used a d2 enzo on real hard stuff with no probs.

The problem here is that that blade was never designed for a zero grind, 01, d2 and pretty much any steel will chip at the edge when sharpened to zero ant the angle that primary bevel is.

Dennis does blades with the correct angle for zero grind, that one was ground for use with secondary bevel.

Come on guys lets see the true problem before blaming the steel:)

Sorry mate, but I have to disagree, I have had too many D2 knives chip for it to be more than just an angle thing..different knives, different grinds, different makers, all the same problem..chipping.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
You are welcome to disagree, I however don't have a problem with D2 chipping.

It will be more likely to chip than 01,

But the reason why the knife in the picture chipped is because the gring angle is wrong for a zero grind blade.

01 would have chipped with that angle.

I used my D2 enzo on seasoned oak, battoning against the grain (cutting a wedge in it)

Never chipped, i would be quite willing if you are ever around the ely area to show you.

Take care mate

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
But the reason why the knife in the picture chipped is because the gring angle is wrong for a zero grind blade.

Both knives pictured where ground by Dennis or at least his company if it isn't the grind and we can't blame the steel... who do you blame?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Personally i don't think blame has anything to do with it.

I would have said the above blade did not come ground like it. It looks to have been sharpened to zero. Dennis does a zero ground with a proper scandi angle. All the blades in the picture ive had from him have come with a secondary bevel.

Personally i don't think blame has anything to do with it.

I would have said the above blade did not come ground like it. It looks to have been sharpened to zero. Dennis does a zero ground with a proper scandi angle. All the blades in the picture ive had from him have come with a secondary bevel.

I am aware of a guy who bought the Flat grind trapper in D2 and guess what happened to it...I'm afraid it chipped!!

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I am aware of a guy (me) who brought a flat grind knife in 01 and guess what it chipped.

Everyone throw your woodlore knives in the bin, they can chip:dancer:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE