Enzo blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Agreed it is more likely than 01, both with correct HT

But it is a tiny tiny difference in normal use

This is a link showing the properties of D2 steel, it has been used to years as shears, die's, planer blades, punches etc.

http://www.bucorp.com/files/aisi_d2.pdf

Thanks for the Link Shinken,but what it says on paper is not how I have found it to perform in practice, but I'm in no way doubting your fondness for that particular steel, all I can say is that I have had a very bad past record with it..3 UK makers and 2 non-UK, 5 knives all in D2, grinds where convex, sabre and scandi and only the convex one has never chipped..mainly because I have never used it properly because of the bad experiences with D2 in the past..and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about it..It has got to the stage where I have a real dislike for it and it puts me completely off a knife if I know it's made from D2..I think I've developed an allergy to it!

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
It's fine mate i was not trying to make an argument, i dont particuarly have fondness for it.

It is a million times harder to heat treat correctly than 01 and i think that is the main reasons it has bad rep.

I have 100% confidence in Dennis's heat treatment on D2 though

Take care bud

It's fine mate i was not trying to make an argument, i dont particuarly have fondness for it.

It is a million times harder to heat treat correctly than 01 and i think that is the main reasons it has bad rep.

I have 100% confidence in Dennis's heat treatment on D2 though

Take care bud
Maybe you've hit the nail on the head mentioning the heat treat as in your link were it mentions knives and shears it says an RC 56, and this was considerably less than I know my knives were, maybe softer is better with D2.

I agree whole heartedly with your comments about Dennis, as a matter of fact the original sabre grind carbon trappers where awesome, I love them dearly, and even the O1 trapper is one of the finest knives I have ever used, just wish he would do the camper in an O1 version..all the best.

I had a slight chipping problem on my Trapper in O1. Resharpened on wetstones with a final stropping on an old leather belt which put a very, very, slight convex grind on the edge. Never a chipping problem since and scary sharp!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE