Enviromental conservation life..More bother than it's worth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Lots of companies will sell you part grown or even full grown trees. However they are considerably more expensive and although you get a head start, you won't necessarily get a full grown tree much quicker as a young tree will adapt to it's environment quicker.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Butchd said:
Lots of companies will sell you part grown or even full grown trees. However they are considerably more expensive and although you get a head start, you won't necessarily get a full grown tree much quicker as a young tree will adapt to it's environment quicker.

Good point Butchd
I'm wondering what a part grown tree is ? I guess you mean a sapling. Its generally a false economy to buy larger standard trees as their root to stem ratio is much lower than that of 2 year old transplanted whips. the tiny trees will look a bit lost in a field of grass for a few years but their growth rate will invariably far outstrip that of larger and much more expensive standard trees. When they die, as at least 3 to 5 % will in the first few seasons, whips are only a few pence to replace and larger trees cost a bomb.
if you buy farmland to plant - have a look at the Forestry commission english woodland grant scheme (there must be a welsh equivalent but I've no idea about it)
Plant, care and be patient!
All the best
Flux

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE