Engraving or etching a maker's symbol?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I've recently just finished carving my third spoon, which is carving project four, and I'm thinking of doing a little engraving or etching for a symbol or emblem which looks something like this:

wiysTO4.png

How would I best go about doing this?

Thanks.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
something that complex, I would make a brand up. Either by carving a wax/plastic master and then casting it in bronze, or by carving/etching it into the end of a metal bar. Or send the image to an engraving company to make a brand for you ;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
something that complex, I would make a brand up. Either by carving a wax/plastic master and then casting it in bronze, or by carving/etching it into the end of a metal bar. Or send the image to an engraving company to make a brand for you ;)

Is spandits group buy for a leather stamp still going? I've used mine in conjunction with a soldering iron as a brand.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Works either way I think. The cuts will be deeper than the thickness of the layer you`ll sand off, so you will not lose the colour. Sanding first and then kolrosing the design in is also good.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You do Kolrosing once you've finished all the sanding of the item etc first.

Basically it's the final finish before oiling

Last edited:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
ignore me i miss read the thread and thought you ment metal . sorry

Attachments

• DSC_0095 (2).jpg
    DSC_0095 (2).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I've just tried some quick kolrosing tests on a random piece of wood and it comes out okay. Not sure about the staining, however. What do you think? I used coffee. I'm a bit anxious in case I make a mistake on the real thing, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

fTuFzwn.jpg

T4qRJma.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE