England

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great to talk about Wales, and I'm proudly Welsh myself, but it doesn't much help the OP who is moving to Hampshire though does it? :)

My suggestion for a positive is longer summers, earlier springs, and whole new set of flora and fauna to discover.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here you go THOaken - this is close to where you are going - my generation loved this guy

[video=youtube;2Bl1HQg7aCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bl1HQg7aCo[/video]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great to talk about Wales, and I'm proudly Welsh myself, but it doesn't much help the OP who is moving to Hampshire though does it? :)

My suggestion for a positive is longer summers, earlier springs, and whole new set of flora and fauna to discover.

We have trains and coaches Mr H, the little poppet can pop along to beautiful Wales. I like Hampshire, have spent a good amount of time in and near Winchester but am always happy to return home :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm in Rowland's Castle, Hampshire as I write this. It's my second day here. The village here is very quaint and peaceful and my new home is very different from the previous. It's got a traditional log fireplace, old floorboards and the structure itself is very antiquated. The garden is pretty large and there are actual trees in it this time. The previous owners left many logs, some birch, so I may use those to carve spoons and the like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a cousin lives down there THOaken; he says it's a beautiful bit of the world and rich in history and a lot of good people around too :)
Mind that life's as rich as you choose to make it :)

atb,
M

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
are you enjoying it so far ? what are your initial thoughts ?
I haven't been to any woods, but we did drive through one called Stanstead Forest, I believe. We're probably going to explore the towns and other places tommorow. Still unpacking. My initial thought is that I suit the place a lot more than my previous abode. It feels more rural and Bushcrafty in general.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I haven't been to any woods, but we did drive through one called Stanstead Forest, I believe. We're probably going to explore the towns and other places tommorow. Still unpacking. My initial thought is that I suit the place a lot more than my previous abode. It feels more rural and Bushcrafty in general.

:)

good for you mate :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
It's obviously a little jarring living in this house and neighbourhood because I lived in the same house in Scotland for nearly 20 years... I wonder when this place will feel normal. It's probably best that I throw myself into the experience and explore as much of the surrounding area as I can so that it becomes familiar.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup life is about exploring, both oneself and your surroundings. I've lived in a few places and like to get involved. A local historical society is always a good contact as an understanding of an areas past is always good - you also get to find out some of the local special places and it helps with meshing yourself into a places history. Hit the local library or internet to find them.

Also yes, get out and explore, access laws are different south of the border obviously and it took me a while to get it into my head that I couldn't just wander when I first moved. I was lucky enough to be working in forestry so had access to some pretty special woodlands.

How's your map reading? Get some local Landranger and Explorer O.S. maps. I pour over maps as it's a great way to find and feel your way around. Another way if you can't "walk into a map" as I call it is http://www.geograph.org.uk/ They want at least one photo of every grid square in the UK. You can search by area, thing (river, village, fungi, whatever) and it's a great way to see what's on the ground before you get there.

Plus you'll be practicing those fire skills in the fire place and out in the garden too I hope? It's not just lighting a fire it's all about maintenance - understanding it needs and learning to get it to do what you want weather its big flames, an ember bed, economical with fuel of different types.

Excited for you THOaken new places are always good.

All the best,
GB.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's obviously a little jarring living in this house and neighbourhood because I lived in the same house in Scotland for nearly 20 years... I wonder when this place will feel normal. It's probably best that I throw myself into the experience and explore as much of the surrounding area as I can so that it becomes familiar.

Would you like the ordinance survey maps of some of the local area? If so I probably still have some and you would be welcome to them - I can post them to you if you would like them?. I would be delighted to recommend some local woods and walks for you to explore if it helps.

It is a great area - as you say - just dive in, get out there and walk! There are a huge number of shoots in your area too - so plenty of beating to be had if you want it which will get you to know the locals (right time of year for that).

Anyway - if a map helps, send me an address and I'll send you one

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE