England

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
not so bad in the south after all is it matey ?

look at it as the start of something great :) i really hope you enjoy it, when are you heading down ?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
You should've seen my face when I realised it's... 10-15 minutes drive away. Now, I don't believe in destiny, but it feels like I was destined to move to Hampshire. This is very strange.

Sparsholt College and Butser Ancient Farm in one county...

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is far more than that :) Its absolutely packed with history - 20 minutes the other way from you is Old Winchester Hill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Winchester_Hill

Iron Age fort, Bronze Age barrows, SSSI, Nature reserve in one - and free. You also have one of the three Royal Armouries on your doorstep (free), some of the best sailing in the world and so much more.

Enjoy it!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I moved to england when I was five from eire. South east england has rich varied countrside, from chalk downs, chines, and awesome lush woodlands, there is also a very wide range of opertunities for young people. Now I wake up everyday feeling really greatful that I live in the most stunning, freindlest country in the british isles. England is great, but wales is the better.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh I love Wales really - and the Welsh - stunning place. Oddly though I think everyone thinks of Snowdonia as Wales - and honestly there are (in my view) far nicer spots in Wales.

xylaria

Ahhh I love Wales really - and the Welsh - stunning place. Oddly though I think everyone thinks of Snowdonia as Wales - and honestly there are (in my view) far nicer spots in Wales.

I have lived in england most of my life. In three years of living in wales, i have never once tired of the scenery. The mountians, the sea, the green hills, the huge skyscapes, there is always something utterly gobsmacking to see, even on the trip to shops. Southern england has better woodlands and load less rain, and in truth a hell of alot more for young people, I hope the OP does great down there. I do wish more people would think and act like the welsh do around here, fairness and rightousness is the cultural norm.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I used to stay on a farm in Pentregwenlais ? Hope i have spelt, spelled? That right, every 2 months, the most stunning scenery, and a connection with Dartmoor, when i spoke to the locals, they seemed to excuse me being English, one of the few places i have spent time, where they still barter and exchange favours! Brilliant system.

Ivan...

And once a month, the farmers market and auction at Llandeilo? Possible spelling issue, what an atmosphere!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure the OP will have a great time - there are some great Bushcrafters where he is going - Bushwacker Bob amongst them :)

xylaria

I used to stay on a farm in Pentregwenlais ? Hope i have spelt, spelled? That right, every 2 months, the most stunning scenery, and a connection with Dartmoor, when i spoke to the locals, they seemed to excuse me being English, one of the few places i have spent time, where they still barter and exchange favours! Brilliant system.

Ivan...

And once a month, the farmers market and auction at Llandeilo? Possible spelling issue, what an atmosphere!

We have just bought a car today from carmel [the next village to pentregwenlais]. The garage last year did work on our old car, because he didnt finish it in a time frame acceptable to welsh time [twice as long as scotish time and 10x as long as english] he said drive it away and come back in week or so and he will finish it and charge us the bill. We came back, he said come back later. We tried serveral times to get the job finished and pay for the tyres and suspension he had already put on. Eventually we forgot about it. 8 months later we met the bloke in aldi and he says he would quite like to be payed now. The car we have bought today he has held on to since april, literally the only other owner drove it to chapel and tescos. The culture depends on everyone knowing everyone else. If you stuff up a deal, eventually everyone will know about it, so people are honest and honerable. There is also the idea of fair play with the slight threat of a peeved off scrum half and his freinds if it is not complied with.

Ffairfach market still operates every month. Llandielo has a lot of chelsea type english.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
We have just bought a car today from carmel [the next village to pentregwenlais]. The garage last year did work on our old car, because he didnt finish it in a time frame acceptable to welsh time [twice as long as scotish time and 10x as long as english] he said drive it away and come back in week or so and he will finish it and charge us the bill. We came back, he said come back later. We tried serveral times to get the job finished and pay for the tyres and suspension he had already put on. Eventually we forgot about it. 8 months later we met the bloke in aldi and he says he would quite like to be payed now. The car we have bought today he has held on to since april, literally the only other owner drove it to chapel and tescos. The culture depends on everyone knowing everyone else. If you stuff up a deal, eventually everyone will know about it, so people are honest and honerable. There is also the idea of fair play with the slight threat of a peeved off scrum half and his freinds if it is not complied with.

Ffairfach market still operates every month. Llandielo has a lot of chelsea type english.

Small world! Good old Aldi at Crosshands, the market was actually at Ffairfach, thanks for jogging my old grey memory, Tescos must be at Ammanford? Used to get fish and chips there, and used to swop work with a fellow called Blofeld, garden machinery, also have a pint in the Stag and Pheasant, i believe, i seem to remember, an influx of people wanting to post their chritmas cards from the post office at Bethlehem, just for the postmark!

Did loads of tree work and logs in that area, way back when and swapped goods in exchange, amazing people!

Can't remember the huge store, all under one roof at Crosshands, had a green colour scheme?

Fond memories.

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE