Endicotts and Lowe Alpine/Dutch packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi,

I already purchased one of the 40 litre Dutch patrol packs from Endys a few months ago and although I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet, I've been very impressed. It's a Lowe Alpine Strike in DPM and in slightly used condition (ie the fabric looks a little faded and it seems to have lost any water repellency).

I rang them earlier this week to ask if they had any other Dutch (Lowe Alpine) packs in and they have! They're not up on the website, but are in store. They have the 50 (?) litre Sting complete with side pockets for £50 and the Saracen bergan (not sure how many litres, but at least equal to PLCE I think) complete with side pockets for £75.

Both are ex-Dutch military and therefore in DPM and (at least) slightly used.

Don't tell SWMBO but I ordered both (I can resist anything but temptation). I'll let you know what they're like when I get them.

No connection with Endys, etc.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi,

I already purchased one of the 40 litre Dutch patrol packs from Endys a few months ago and although I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet, I've been very impressed. It's a Lowe Alpine Strike in DPM and in slightly used condition (ie the fabric looks a little faded and it seems to have lost any water repellency).

I rang them earlier this week to ask if they had any other Dutch (Lowe Alpine) packs in and they have! They're not up on the website, but are in store. They have the 50 (?) litre Sting complete with side pockets for £50 and the Saracen bergan (not sure how many litres, but at least equal to PLCE I think) complete with side pockets for £75.

Both are ex-Dutch military and therefore in DPM and (at least) slightly used.

Don't tell SWMBO but I ordered both (I can resist anything but temptation). I'll let you know what they're like when I get them.

No connection with Endys, etc.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

Sting on itself would be 40 ltr. With optional 2x sidepouch (daypack), 10 ltr each. Seen them, but not used - heard good stories from a friend in the forces.

What about a little review Boris? Nice excuse to use your other new kit ;)

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Used my 40l Dutch pack today for the first time today, was very comfortable to carry and ample big enough for all my crap lol. For the price I'd definitely reccomend one.

leon-1

Hi guys can we have a bit more detail along the lines of a mini review please. I have used a lot of Lowe Alpine kit over the years so I would like to know what I am comparing it to. Some of the older Lowe Alpine packs weren't overly water resistant and were always best used with a waterproof liner anyway.

What's the back system on the packs are they adjustable or fixed (preferably with pictures).
Is the shoulder harness contoured or straight.
Waist belt and lumber pad, do they allow for adjustment to pull the bergan closer to the body and do they supply enough support.
Are the volumes a poor guesstimiate like they are with some other manufacturers or are they realistic.
Using a realistic load (pack it with kit for the weekend or more) is it comfortable to walk with for a prolonged distance / period of time.
Features of the pack, top pouch, side pouches, accessibility to items without exposing the whole of your kit to the elements.

As I say guys, give me something to work with even if it's a link to another review.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Sting on itself would be 40 ltr. With optional 2x sidepouch (daypack), 10 ltr each. Seen them, but not used - heard good stories from a friend in the forces.

What about a little review Boris? Nice excuse to use your other new kit ;)

Sting is a bit bigger than this. 55 litre excluding pockets. ABS back system. Review of the Sting is already in the members review section http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46026 Leon-1 :)

leon-1

Yeah good review for the initial part, I look forward to a more detailed description of how it performs in use with a bit of weight in it. I used to use Lowe Alpine kit whilst in the forces and I had a lot of respect for it, but they were different models and although I think these would be just as good you cannot beat an actual opinion rather than stats.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Spent 10 minutes tonight upgrading my 40l pack, picked it up from Endis with a foam insert for the back panel, comfy enough but not stiff enough in the back plus it moulded to my back, became very sweaty the other day.

So 10 minutes in the garage this evening, couple meters of copper tube and my soldering gear. I now have a lightweight frame that I can form to give a nice airspace, feels 10x more comfy now.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Twodogs - sorry for the tardy answer.

No, I haven't got them yet. Work has only just re-opened today, so it's possible that an abortive delivery has been made. I'm hoping that they turn up this week.

You got yours yet?

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Had a quick fumble in between lessons today.

Both the Sting and Saracen are clearly surplus and seem a little "dirtier" than the Strike I got a few months back. Still, everything's in one piece and appears sturdy; it's DPM anyway so it's supposed to look mucky! Still, there's bits of tape on a haul loop and evidence of tape on other straps, so they've clearly been used.

One thing struck me about the Saracen: lots of straps! I could see them being really annoying if you're not too fond of webbing whipping around all over the place.

Both packs seem to have the same LA adjustable back system and the shoulder straps seem quite well padded. I'll have to get them properly adjusted and loaded out for a proper review in future.

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE