End of the line for AW Woodlore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
if you had a AW with ray's name on it would never be used. if you did you would always be thinking that cut's a tenner off e bay oh no another! put it away! folk buy them to sell on or to say they've got one i bet there isn't many "in use"

John Boy

Oct 23, 2004
UK
I met Alan at the Exeter Show and bought a beautiful micarta handled RWL34 bushcraft knife - it is the same design as the Woodlore knife but doesn't have the Woodlore brand - just Alan's attractive logo with his name. I congratulated Alan on the success that the Woodie was having but it became obvious that the overinflated sums being spent on Ebay purchases are far and beyond what he makes per knife. Moreover, he told me that he is pretty bored with making the same knife day after day - a sign of a true craftsman who wants to put his own art/craft ahead of pure revenue streams. Whatever happens to the Woodlore knife, whether it becomes mass production or whether the contract moves to another custom maker, I can vouch for the fact that you will not find a knife of higher quality than Alan's.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
kb31 said:
if you had a AW with ray's name on it would never be used. if you did you would always be thinking that cut's a tenner off e bay oh no another! put it away! folk buy them to sell on or to say they've got one i bet there isn't many "in use"

Mine gets used and abused, it's a lovely knife to use and I would urge owners to give them a try if they haven't already. If they're ALL used, it won't even effect the hugely inflated ebay prices :rolleyes:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I agree totally,

I only have one of the last Wilkinson Sword Woodlores, but as everyone knows even the old Micarta handled ones that were being sold for £85 by Woodlore are now commanding ridiculous prices on e-bay (about £325 at the last look!)

I consider it a great knife to use and do so whenever i am out. These knives are not designed to be exhibition pieces, they are designed to be used and abused and mine cetainly is.

It is still well looked after however and could be sold as "mint" condition although it would take a ridiculous amount of money offered to part me with mine.

........go on offer me a silly amount of money :D

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
I only make bushcraft knives but I don't use patterns and they are all different but similar to a WL I would't be able to make them all the same it would be impossible for me, but if some one was to give me 3 a week to make I might give it a go :rolleyes: :p

www.msknives.net

cbbushie007.jpg

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wayne said:
After owning a woodlore I would not buy another knife from Alan. 12 months late yet he finds time to do his own project knives. I think thats just poor customer service.

The finish on the knife was poor more like an apprentice peice than the work of a craftsman. I did make a profit when I sold it though so I cant complain.

As a user it was a good enough knife but for £200 there are a lot better knives out there. Alan may be bored with making them but they pay the mortage and have made him him a houshold name.

£200 to you, but i think Alan sells them to ray for around £100. Consider maybe £30 in matertial cost. Then a tenner or so for outsourcing materials. Another £20 per knife for overheads, electricity, tools, grinding belts etc. That leaves £40 in "money for time". How much of your time does £40 quid buy? You probably bought 1 to 2 hours of Alans time at a guess. The Woodlore is a good design, but it's a basic, cheap and cheerfull knife, that is expensive because it's hand made and because of it's provenance. If it was mass-produced, by frosts or helle for example, it'd be selling for twenty quid.

Now if you'd of spent £200 on a knife direct from Alan, then you'd have an extra hundred from your budget spent on either time or materials. You'd get a much better knife for your money.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Martyn said:
£200 to you, but i think Alan sells them to ray for around £100. Consider maybe £30 in matertial cost. Then a tenner or so for outsourcing materials. Another £20 per knife for overheads, electricity, tools, grinding belts etc. That leaves £40 in "money for time". How much of your time does £40 quid buy? You probably bought 1 to 2 hours of Alans time at a guess. The Woodlore is a good design, but it's a basic, cheap and cheerfull knife, that is expensive because it's hand made and because of it's provenance. If it was mass-produced, by frosts or helle for example, it'd be selling for twenty quid.

Now if you'd of spent £200 on a knife direct from Alan, then you'd have an extra hundred from your budget spent on either time or materials. You'd get a much better knife for your money.

All that Martyn has said is true, I make knives full time and it's not a good way of making a living money wise a bushcraft knife and sheath takes more or less 2 day's to make, £180,at the most, some times on ebay they go for your start price maybe £99, it don't make you feel very happy, but it does help when you get the feedback from the buyer although that don't pay the bills, I can only do it because my kids have all grown up and the morgage has finished. :dunno:

www.msknives.net

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
mick spain said:
All that Martyn has said is true, I make knives full time and it's not a good way of making a living money wise a bushcraft knife and sheath takes more or less 2 day's to make, £180,at the most, some times on ebay they go for your start price maybe £99, it don't make you feel very happy, but it does help when you get the feedback from the buyer although that don't pay the bills, I can only do it because my kids have all grown up and the morgage has finished. :dunno:

www.msknives.net

It is hard. I know there is a well used saying among part time knifemakers...

Q: What would you do if you won the lottery?
A: Become a full time knifemaker.

:lmao:

BTW Mick, this ones a beaut!

5-picture1.gif

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
John Boy said:
I met Alan at the Exeter Show ........QUOTE]

What the hell is he doing at a show when he could be working on my project!!

Only joking Alan and do please take whatever time you like when fashioning those finely quilted North American ramshorm scales.

Cheers!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I see the Woodlore web site is still listing the AW Woodlore, inviting prospective purchasers to contact them to be put on the waiting list.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Doc said:
I see the Woodlore web site is still listing the AW Woodlore, inviting prospective purchasers to contact them to be put on the waiting list.

If this is the case, then I doubt very much that the AW Woodlore is being phased out. Woodlore update their site regularly, and the ability to add your name to an order list certainly seems to go against the topic of this thread.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Martyn said:

I'm sorry Martyn But I really dont agree with the sentiment of your statement.

I dont care if Alan is making a loss on each knife. He puts his name on it and therefore his professional reputation. I have run courses that have made no money. Are you suggesting I should have said sorry guys after costs etc, you have run out of time. I'm going back to bed?"

What happened to professional pride?

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Wayne said:
The finish on the knife was poor more like an apprentice peice than the work of a craftsman.QUOTE]

Clearly you were less than impressed with Alan’s work but, assuming the deficiencies were other than those inherent in the use of certain proscribed materials, I feel sure AW would have rectified them to you complete satisfaction if first sent back c/o of Woodlore. After all, the knife carries the maker and designer’s name.

Cheers

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I own a number of handmade knives and appreciate the skills of the maker.

I also in my work see a lot of different knives.

The knife wasn't awful but considering the cost and reputation of the maker the knife was a disappointment. I would not with good conscience recommend Alan's work to my clients.

I don't think it's acceptable to be taking private orders for extra work when existing orders are over due. It comes down to customer service and professional ethics I guess.

I know there are many members on here that are happy with Alans work. You pay your money your choice. I think there are many good makers out there who offer better value for money coupled with the level of customer service I expect. I am sure Alan with survive without my future custom.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Even as an admirer of Alan’s work I would have to agree that there are knives to be had throughout the world that are given of more pleasing design and execution but I cannot think of one who operates from this country at the moment. Perhaps I should though as delivery times are getting longer and longer for any AW knife as I know from experience!

Cheers

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I would have to agree to a degree,

As i understand it Alan worked with Ray to design the "perfect" bushcraft knife. Indeed the popularity of the blade design with many bespoke and commercial knife makers is testament to that.
When he agreed to make them for woodlore i don't know, however i would guess this when Ray was still a 'minor' celebrity and demand would not be high allowing Alan to continue with his other custom designs and commissions.
I know the last batch of "woodies" were rejected due to problems with the heat treatment of the blades, understandable these things happen.
I would agree with Wayne though, He has a commitment to produce these knives, his name is on the blade and therefore his reputation. If Ray's popularity and demand for these knives are now so high he has issues keeping up with them, he should stop making the knife or take no more orders for his own until the backorders for both have been fulfilled.

My belief is he is only hurting his reputation by trying to please everyone. I have heard grumblings on BB about how late some of his own knives are and of course we know the situation with the "Woodlore"

Most people of course know the woodie from Ray's programmes, i myself had no idea of other custom knife makers and the availability of similar (and in some cases superior) blade designs until i joined this forum.

That's my 1/2p anyway, i have a WS woodie and consider it a tool no more no less.

Klenchblaize- have not considered our own Mr Spain and Mr Shing? I would certainly say their work is on a par if not better than Alan Wood. I will certainly be looking at either of them or both for future knives.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have had ongoing orders with Alan for the last two years or so, he has always delivered months ahead of schedule and kept in constant contact with me throughout. I cannot fault his craftsmanship or service.

I have also had pass through my hands, several Woodlores. All of them were of a high quality I'd expect from Alan also. If anyone is to blame for the Woodlore order list not being fulfilled quicker, it is Woodlore for keeping the books open. I have heard Alan comment many times how he hoped that the WS version would reduce demand in his version. It did not, and now there is no WS version to fill the niche. What with prices going up on eBay, I'm sure more people are ordering them to make a profit, on top of the regulars who genuinely want the knife.

I bet he dreams about this knife in his sleep poor bugger :D

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Well to be honest if he's having to fill such a large order every day he's bound to make slip ups no matter how good a craftsman he is which means the product will suffer and people will not be getting what they paid for. I can't see how Woodlore can justify the ridiculous extra cost of it being handmade by a craftsman who's become sick to death of making it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE