emergency shelter/bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an emergency bag that ticks the following boxes

compact - rolled up about the size of a nalgene bottle
waterproof
quiet
subtle in colour (not orange)
lightweight

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
tried one of those - REALLY didn't work for me I was soaked by the morning,

Good to know, condensation will be a real issue in this I suppose.
Are you looking for something purely for emergency use or something more durable to have in you pack in case you fancy spending the night somewhere?

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Good to know, condensation will be a real issue in this I suppose.
Are you looking for something purely for emergency use or something more durable to have in you pack in case you fancy spending the night somewhere?

I'm hoping for both...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'm hoping for both...

You could go with the Kestrel bivvy coupled with one of these liners. Pushing the price up but the Reactor bags are quite good and pack very small. Not sure how big the Kestrel bag is, but presumably its smaller than British army one so should meet your size requirements...

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Did anyone get and review the Artkis bags that appeared on ebay awhile back?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Are we talking about an emergency bag here?

something a bit more - don't stress it if you end up staying the night, I've used the blizzard bags before - work very well ans I spent the night in pretty good condition - one of the best things about them is if you use it and send it back they will re-vacuum seal it - but i plan to sleep out a bit too much for that...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
You could go with the Kestrel bivvy coupled with one of these liners. Pushing the price up but the Reactor bags are quite good and pack very small. Not sure how big the Kestrel bag is, but presumably its smaller than British army one so should meet your size requirements...

that sounds like a good option

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
something a bit more - don't stress it if you end up staying the night, I've used the blizzard bags before - work very well ans I spent the night in pretty good condition - one of the best things about them is if you use it and send it back they will re-vacuum seal it - but i plan to sleep out a bit too much for that...

Sorry, when you said emergency bag I thought it was for just that, an emergency.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
have you used one - tried it once lasted about 3 hours woke shivering and soggy similar issues as the highlander one

really need something breathable

Yes and found the same with the orange one as well, Used on occasions before Bivi bags were cheaper to buy. The orange one mostly with plent of clothing and other times in a sleeping bag. Just got used to it and woke up and you sorted self out with a hot drink and a good breakfast. Now carry the Nato bag for pure emergency only or if just going out with the kit I am wearing and no bag

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
anyone try the SOL Escape Bivvy?

looks like they do a tactical green one now
[h=1][/h]

Nov 2, 2013
Central Asia
If we're talking emergency bivvis or survival bags as a very last resort, as in life-or-death, then I sort of get it. IMHO all they do is keep the worst of the windchill off you for a limited period only, whatever the technological claims. Eventually the condensation and the heat loss are going to get the better of you. They're too often marketed as an alternative option for a comfy nights sleep (SOL website for example). If you've identified that you may need to get into something, out of the elements, then why not just carry your lightweight sleeping system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE