Emergency! Knife wanted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Can anyone point me to a reliable UK (CURRENTLY IN STOCK) source for the Glock 78 or 81 field knife (other than Heinnies who are out of stock)
These blades are the bees knees! OOOppps thats torn it!
I don't mind if its the little knife shop down the road from you, as long as they can post to my UK address.

Many thanks in advance.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If reviews online are anything to go by, they really "aren't" the bees knees :) They are hardened to 50 RC as standard and have very thick edge angles. They are not well liked by people who have had them.

Last edited:

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Thanks for your input so far guys. Ok - I'm aware of the edge profile that needs a little work. What made me so curious is the hellish amount of abuse this knife will take and not break on you - compared to a Chris Reeve type survival blade that snapped like it was made of glass under similar tests. IMHO it puts the inexpensive Glock field knife in the high value category - and worth further investigation.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
A low hardness will give a high toughness, but a knife needs a balance of both to be of much use. Too hard and it will break fairly easily under stress, too soft and it wont, but it wont hold an edge for long and will make any cutting work both difficult and more dangerous. At the end of the day, its supposed to be a knife...which means its supposed to cut stuff.... if it doesn't its a prybar pretending to be a knife. :)

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have an used 81 which is available, say £15 plus P&P but I am only up the road in Reading if you want to collect.

Good nick except I have sharpened the saw teeth and the edge.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Bladeophile has changed his mind for a new one. Anybody else want an 81 before it goes back in the drawer?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE