Emergency belay video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
good -- but problem with body belays is that they rely on you now stumbling/falling and letting go of the rope.

Another idea for sloping ground -- is to set the rope up as you did then use a French prussik or klemheist on the rope. Connect this to a sling harness or even on a sturdy belt (like and old style belay belt). That way if you fall it auto locks preventing you free falling.

echobelly

Jan 10, 2010
South Korea
Good video.

Might be nice to zoom out slightly so we can see your anchor point more clearly, seeing as this is the crucial part of any rope work.

It's always nice to show everything on the camera, so it's clear to the viewer.

Good, useful and practical video.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
tis a good way to do it. there are several body belay techniques and they are all good for emergencies! might also try a bowline round your waist for a man harness and a bit more control cause that was FAST!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Thanks for the tips guys, I know all kinds of techneques as Im an avid climber and have been for years, the thing is with this one I wanted to go right back to basics with something that everyone could do without fancy gear just a rope or even some paracord doubled over a few times would work.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Good effort bud, two things you must make sure is that the rope is sat properly between your legs and not to go to fast as it can burn holes in gore-tex from the friction. Chances are you will have a krab and sling/webbing(hammock setup) with you so you could make a improvised harness. That could be your next step.

Good on ya for trying mate

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just returned from Wales and have seen film of how the old quarrymen used to secure themselves, it's hair raising, just a length of rope rapped around the leg. Apparently the egg collectors of Kilda used to lower themselves down the cliffs by equally circumspect techniques. It really makes one wonder how anyone survived before modern times.

Knotted sheets anybody?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Of course to reply to my own thread, rope was rope in the old days, proper hemp and thick enough to berth the Titanic :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE