Elwell axe head restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I found the remains of an old axe in a hedge and, being a don't-throw-it-away-if-it-can-be-fixed kind of chap (especially where really good quality old tools are concerned) I decided to see if I could breathe a bit of life into the old girl.

This is what she looked like when I brought her in and dried her off:

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

As you can see, the pitting was pretty severe and there were no visible identifying marks (although these show up in the photograph above, oddly enough!). I did a bit of hunting around on the internet and decided that it may be an Elwell but I couldn't be sure.

A few methods of restoration suggested themselves after a bit of YouTubing; a lot of these involved grinders and flap wheels, but I discounted these on the basis that there'd be no material left if I removed all of the pitting and went for a highly-polished finish. A vague memory about treacle prompted some more research and eventually I learned about chelation, the process of replacing metal by using acid and sugars to chemically liberate oxygen from iron oxides; I decided on that way, and forwent the idea of an extreme polish. I mixed up some water, vinegar and black treacle and chucked the axe head in it. I left it in there for three weeks, and then scrubbed it clean under the tap.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well it came back to life - the pitting had been halted and stabilised and I could see some identifying marks:

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

Turns out not only was it an Elwell, it's a seven pound monster!

Paraffin wax was used to stop any oxidisation of the head over the course of the process. Next job was to decide what finish I wanted. I decided on polishing as much as I could of the bevel and the area of the bit immediately behind it. There would be enough work to do there, and this might be fun, not to mention help when it comes to sharpening the axe later on. To start with I used acetone to clean off the wax and started with 120 grit wet and dry and progressed to 240, 320, 400 and 600 grits, wet first and dry afterwards, wiping down with a damp rag between each stage.

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

Following this it went to the lathe for buffing on a 5" wheel with two compounds, and then I gave it several passes with Autosol polish.

I'm quite pleased with the results:

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

The next step is to find a haft for it; a big one, maybe the whole 36". Anyway, it's come out pretty well and I'm going to oil the head for storage before I get the haft sorted. Once it's hung I'll sharpen it and get it into use.

Cheers,

JR

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Nicely weathered and still very effective, I like the restoration soup think I might try that.

It's great, but you need patience. I've just used the same technique on an old Tyzack and Sons drawknife with one of the kids at work. It's a good technique and is far less invasive than grinding away until you hit good steel.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was gifted a similar lump of a thing that is in need of similar TLC. Will be following this thread for tips thanks.

Well done reviving the old thing.

Reactions: Jackroadkill

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
I found a similar 5lb in the same pattern got a 36" handle from wood smith experience. A 5lb is heavy enough you would've needed some muscle to swing a 7lb all day, nice work

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I found a similar 5lb in the same pattern got a 36" handle from wood smith experience. A 5lb is heavy enough you would've needed some muscle to swing a 7lb all day, nice work

Thanks for the tip about the handle; and yes, 7lbs is a hell of a weight. I won't need to exercise much if I use it daily, I reckon.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I'm rejuvenating this thread to ask for a bit of knowledge, if you guys don't mind.

I'm looking for a handle / haft for it and am running into difficulties - I can't find one big enough to fit the eye of the axe. The eye measures 100mm (well, four inches) along the length and 22mm across. I can't find a decent quality handle that will fit - any ideas?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sorry if I am stupid and telling you the obvious...

Make your own. Birch is good.
Other woods are excellent too.
try to find a piece that is knot free and has a similar bent as the handle. Straight fibers make stronger handle.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Do not hesitate, it is simple.
If you fail - just try again.

Cut to a rough oversize shape (square) with a saw, then mark out the ( slightly less oversize) shape.
Bulk shape with a rasp, or a knife. Then sand paper ( 80) on a cork or rubber block.
Leave the part that goes into the head last.
When I want a nice fit inside something I blacken inside it, then insert the wood, get marks where to take off.

Make the handle slightly oversize, it is easy to adjust.

Do not make the handle to smooth, I find that very smooth axe handles (glassfibre composite, lacquered wood) give me blisters.

For wood species, the species that cricket bats are made from is good too?
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will tell you which British woods are good. Willow? Ash?

I think you did a super job with the axe.

Reactions: Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
For wood species, the species that cricket bats are made from is good too?
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will tell you which British woods are good. Willow? Ash?

Willow's what they make cricket bats out of, but wouldn't it be a bit soft? I know that traditionally we used ash in the UK, before the arrival of plentiful supplies of American hickory, so ash is what I'd most likely use. I've got a lovely ash log about two metres long but it was wind-harvested about three years ago and so still has a long way to go before it's properly seasoned. I'll have to see what I can find in a local wood yard.

I think you did a super job with the axe.

Thanks very much - I'm quite pleased with it, in all honesty. I'm looking forward to using it in anger as my main large axe is a really cheap and nasty affair with a polymer handle and a badly-made and tempered head, so I can't wait to replace it with the Elwell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE