Elwell 7.5lb English felling axe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Surely that's a display piece? I can feel tendons pinging just thinking about that.
Great looking thing.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I have an Elwell 7, known as the 'Forest Blazer' that was my fathers. Elwell did these in a variety of head types, some super long and slim (true 'felling' axes, like mine) and others thicker in profile (more 'general purpose'). Some were thicker still for predominantly splitting work.
How thick is yours across the eye ? It looks to have a longer edge than mine too.

It's obviously been recently re-helved. What it needs now is cleaning up properly (I would have done that whilst it was off the helve, but never mind) and sharpening so it can properly do the work it was designed to do.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice axe. I have a few Elwell 6lbers, sadly don't often get to use them these days. When I worked in forestry we used to have the last day before Christmas as a hand tools day and used to go out and fell a big oak with axe and cross cut then sned it up with axes, happy days.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
howdy. its 4.5" eye. its been re handled yesterday. took a while to find the corest size shaft. also got some danish on it too. its used almost every day for splitting firewood. sadly have to give it bk to the owner. he got it from carboot £10. hope to get my paws on it again sometime soon as i suply him with the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE