ellusive parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
This one I have to rehandle for a mate at the moment, he bought it in Belize, and broke it in Hampshire:banghead::buttkick::slap::twak:

298106_10150452700444073_539479072_10506039_455208234_n.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
looking at the break I would say that it was not the fact that it was a stick tang that caused it.
Likely cause was:

1) the tang wasn't glued in. this means it vibrates and then crack the wood when 2) happens (I've done this to an old billhook!)
2) the blade was struck by a batton
3) a crack was in the wood already and the loose tang opened it up upon impact.

Full tang on big blades tend to transmit shock into the hand more easily, the scales seperate a little (due to the tang flexing) which then lets rust in and you get a nasty pinch when chopping.

Those are just my experiences though ;)

On the plus side of the broken handle, it lets you customise it :D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would add a 4th option Dave,

4, The goon decides it will be a good idea to try and impress a senior rank by giving a display of the ancient and little known art of parang throwing into logs, otherwise known as a Darwin moment:rolleyes:

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
I'll be heading back to Sarawak once I finish university (this summer), to visit family and work for a while - so I'll take orders for parangs! It's generally easier to go to a cutlers/random-crap-shop and buy the cheap ones their - then rehandle it, as they're generally plastic. On another note, you normally carry a smaller, razor sharp knife in a small sheath strapped to your parang sheath - which deals with everything else you can't do with a parang.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE