Elforyn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I'm toying with a new Enzo Trapper, but I'm all curly birched out.
So what can all you knowledgeable people tell me about elforyn?
How does it sand?
How do you shape it?
What does a file do to it?
How does it wear?
Does the white mark easily and show dirt?
Anyone out there used a knife with this as a handle long term?

Over to you guys...

S

Something In The Woodshed

I can only give you my personal opinion.
Its soft, very soft, and if you are not careful you will sand the whole lot away. You can shape it on a belt grinder or linisher as you would with your Curly Birch but you are probably better with hand tools. Its also a little tricky to finish and you need a clean mop (if you were to finish it like wood). It gets dirty very easily too. In fact I hate the stuff, but that's just me. Its not the Ivory Substitute it is sometimes marketed as.
One thing I will say. It smells like coconut when you sand it which is a nice change to the stinky smell of Camel Bone which would be a lot nicer and hard wearing provided you get some without too much marrow in the scales. Or you could try Corian which I find much better.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm not keen on manmade materials very often but plus one for the corian if you want something robust, cheap and easy to work.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
+1 on the corian too. Its a great material to work with. Its only downside imo is the weight.

Cant help with the Elforyn, sorry :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just blocks as far as i am aware. Finding isn't always easy, especially in the colours you may want. Look on ebay, thats where i get mine from, but i buy in bulk and cut it myself.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Thanks everyone, suspicions confirmed.
Option two was ebony and I think that is more my kind of material.
Mr Woodshed, I do appreciate the honesty.

Thanks again

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Corian is cool to work with give your local kitchen fitter a call I got a load of offcut work tops free enough to last me years in white and two shades of blue

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE