Elderberry wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Last weekend I had some elderberry wine and it was beautiful :D It was homemade locally. I'm definitely gonna make some elderflower champagne and elderberry wine this year. Whos with me?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh yes - last year's elderberry and elderflower wines are aging nicely, and I'm definitely making more this year. Not too sure about the champagne - if I'm going to go to the trouble of collecting and destalking all those elderflowers, I'm gonna make proper wine. ;)

Last year was my first foray into winemaking, and it turned out fine. So for anybody who's wavering - it's really not that hard! :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've not tried it yet. My dad used to do it - he'd put the demi-johns in the airing cupboard and all our clothes smelt of yeast.

He had about a 75%-25% hit to miss ratio. Some of the stuff he made (Potato wine? Teabag wine?) was like rat's urine (er...I expect), but he made some corkers as well. Next time I'm home, I might see if he still has the kit - I don't think he uses it anymore.

If it's as easy as you say it is, I'm going to have a go. :beerchug:

He also made some beer once too - that was bloody disgusting :censored: . Mind you, it was still better than Stones... :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've not tried any of the wierder options yet, but I've been making beer from kits (Muntons Gold are particularly good) for about a year and a half now, and making wine (both hedgerow and from kits) for a few months, and I haven't had one go wrong on me yet. (Touch wood... ) I must get through at least a barrel (5 gallons, or 40 pints) of beer a month...

As far as I can see, the trick is simply patience. Don't try and make it too strong, or ferment it too fast. Oh, and scrupulous hygiene is also very important.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've heard it said that you can make wine out of virtually anything. The question is whether you'd want to... ;) :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Alcohol is just sugar, yeast and water with a little time. Wild wines are fantastic. I do have a complete step by step guide with photographs to the making of wild wine (including descriptions of all the equipment, ingredients etc. you will need). If anyone would like me to publish it here its no problem although it is "picture heavy"

Red

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Floyd,

I'm with you indeed! Got a couple of elders on the allotment :)

Red,

Post away mate, that would be great cheers.

Does anyone know where we can source some cheap demijohns from? I believe they can be quite expensive.

Matt.

D

Deleted member 4605

British Red said:
If anyone would like me to publish it here its no problem although it is "picture heavy"

Yes please.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Drop me a PM mate and I'll give you an on-line source - good "starter kits" too with airlocks, steriliser etc.

Red

xylaria

We have just moved house and we found some bottles of Elderberry and mead that we felt we should drink. They were about nine years old. Boy they were delcious!!

The Elderberry was so rounded. I got competely paraletic on two glasses :1244: Elderberry can give you blinding headache the next day :twak: but not this bottle the maturity must of done something. Well worth the wait.

The mead was the best drink I have ever tasted. The honey bouqet had become more a taste than a smell :D .

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Thanks for the info British Red!

Hey Matt W I'm with you. The road I live on is absolutely covered in elder bushes but I still went ahead and ordered 4 plants from the nursery today. The ones on the hedgerow are cut back all the time and never grow so I'd like these ones in the garden to mature someday.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Making elderberry wine is my other reason to be (along side bushcraft). Note my avatar is the rare white fruiting elderberry.

At this time of year I the project is normally fairly quiet. But, this year I am changing allotments and am in a major project of taking cuttings and growing them on into new bushes.

I have worked out that every bush makes a slightly different wine so I try and select good bushes and grow new bushes from cuttings.

I've never made the champagne or the cordial. Any simple recipes anyone?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
rich59 said:
Making elderberry wine is my other reason to be (along side bushcraft). Note my avatar is the rare white fruiting elderberry.

At this time of year I the project is normally fairly quiet. But, this year I am changing allotments and am in a major project of taking cuttings and growing them on into new bushes.

I have worked out that every bush makes a slightly different wine so I try and select good bushes and grow new bushes from cuttings.

I've never made the champagne or the cordial. Any simple recipes anyone?

Blimey! That is a serious Elderberry habit you have there. :eek:

Forager

Jun 22, 2005
I got a load of demijohns from my local freecycle. There are lots lurking in attics and garages, might be worth a try.

F

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE