Elderberry - flower or fruit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was looking at an elderberry flower cordial and I've made elderberry wine in my youth. It got me wondering which is more beneficial, the flower or the berry?

Thinking was that farms growing this cannot supply both but I reckon the flower wins out commercially but that's public taste preferring the flower based products not necessarily due to many evaluation of the berry Vs fruit.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Elderberry cordial has far more benefits to health. Sambucol is made from elderberry. Also makes a good port style wine.
I love elderflower cordial especially on a hot summer day. Makes a lovely posh jelly too. Added to rhubarb crumble lifts the taste to a bit different and special.
I tend to harvest flowers in one area and berries in another. I leave any flowers over head hight so the birds still get their berries.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The berry wine is good. Never tried flower wine myself but my dad did, mixed with crab apple once too. My berry wine was potent. I drank too much siphoning of off into bottles, by mistake as I'm useless at timing the siphon start.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find that every tree is slightly different in taste and scent.
The ones that smell like a cat has piddled nearby, I don't like the taste of the flowers, but the berries are really sweet on those ones. The flowers on the others though make really lovely fritters, cordial and champagne :)

The berries make excellent robbs and dyes.

On the whole, I take a little from several trees and let the rest get on with feeding the insects and birds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE