Elderberries and rosehips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Elderberry I'd make elderberry syrup. Realy good for coughs and colds.
Same with the rosehip.

Are they wild dog rose hips?

Rosa rugosa hips.. the nice big fat ones you see in hedges around gardens are the best for making jam. Easier to get the seeds out and more fleshy and soft.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I would treat the cleaned rose hip skins like Roma tomatoes.
Dry them and pack them in good olive oil to be eaten as hors oeuvre snack things.
I'm already into my latest dried Romas, need a few (6-8) for dinner prep. That's 3-4 tomatoes!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I think I saw something online recently about elderberry honey. If I dreamed it I think it could be divine inspiration as there is no reason honey infused with elderberries would not be delicious (and possibly very healthy indeed). I assume that the elderberries were heated to sort out the oxalic acid but can't quite remember. I'll look for a link.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Follow a Rosehip syrup recipe. The slight zip to the taste is good for chicken. Slather it on before roasting. Pork too.

Or, crush them up, add some maple syrup (or pomegranate syrup, or just sugar) and spread that on pork chops before roasting/grilling.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
We make rosehip syrup every year and use it to supplement our vitamin C intake during the colder months, as a hot drink. Great on ice cream too.

Dave

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I've discovered an over-burdened elder (sambucus nigra) in the local woods. Is it possible to use the berries to flavour gin or other spirits, eg vodka?

If the answer is yes, my question is then how?

Advice, insights, links welcomed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bumpo to this thread - what to do with Elderberries as I'm off to winnie-the-pooh the heckout of the elders , DocG unanswered comment is of interest -anything alcoholic you can do with them? base syrup for a Cocktail maybe??

Other than that it looks like standard syrup or a fruit leather and or vinegar

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You can do exactly the same with elderberries as you do with sloes: make a flavoured sweet gin. Some people consider the raw berries to be toxic but a) nearly all the toxicity is in the seed, b) very little of it gets into the gin anyway, and c) I don't know about you, but I don't drink gin liqueurs by the pint. I certainly wouldn't eat a large quantity of raw elderberries but I do eat the odd hand full.

Without doubt, the best hedgerow wine I have every made was elderberry - it comes out like a Bordeaux and can be deep and fruity. A lighter wine, but still good, can be made by half/half elderberries and blackberries. I've also made an elderberry 'port' - add sugar and a clean tasting brandy (i.e. not a cheap one but it doesn't need to be an XO).

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE