elder lookalike?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Typically without camera or phone earlier, I came across a tree that at first looked like an elder but the berries (similarly distributed on the plant) whilst the same colour were much more robust, with a seed that almost filled the fruit. The other giveaway was that whilst all the other elders in the area had been all but stripped by the birdlife this was untouched. Can't find it anywhere - probably because I'm looking in the wrong place. Anybody help me out?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If the berries are bright red and rather fleshy, with a big stone, they might be Guelder Rose. Tastes horrible when raw, which is good, because too many of them will cause vomiting. They are better (and safer) when cooked, and better still as an ingredient in jam with lots of sugar and some other fruits. I will include them in a hedgerow jam as a lesser ingredient, but otherwise leave them alone.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
yer tis....
SAM_0152.jpg

Sorry for the image - I was trying to hold the thing still with my other hand!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
A test to check it is, is to get a leaf and pull it apart along its length. There should be sticky fibres like spider thread joining the two parts, which is a natural latex.
Lovely autumn colour on the leaves and great colour on the young stems, check out car park planting, there's masses of them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE