Eight-legged freak.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
'Fraid I can't confirm one way or the other. I've never seen one of those egg balls hatch, although my instinct are saying 'fungal infection' to me. Something about it doesn't look healthy to me.

The egg sacs of other species don't become discoloured prior to spiderling emergence, so I've no reason to suppose they would in cave spiders either, but as i said, I can't be completely certain.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Hmmm, yeah could well be right, I have seen some very, very funky fungus/mould growths underground.

I've never seen a baby Cave spider either come to think of it, they all seem to be about the same size more or less lol. :)

@woodspirits Yeh never thought about warehouses like that, I bet they do see some weird critters climbing out of some of the produce lol.

Cheers

Si

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmmm, yeah could well be right, I have seen some very, very funky fungus/mould growths underground.

I've never seen a baby Cave spider either come to think of it, they all seem to be about the same size more or less lol. :)

Cheers

Si

Baby cave spiders behave differently from the adults. As soon as they emerge they head towards the light. When they reach the cave mouth (or whatever) they disperse by ballooning. They only start heading for the dark again once they get a bit bigger, later that same year.

Naturally, the mortality rate is enormous, but it seems to work for them.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Ah cool, thanks never realised that. :) They are nippy buggers aswell, if you put your finger up near em they sometimes go for it. I remember one of my mates leaning against a wall to make a smoke and he must've brushed one or something cause next minute he's dancing round the tunnel trying to flick something off his neck, looked like he thought his hair was on fire, absolutely hilarious, but it did bite him hahaha. :D

Si

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ah cool, thanks never realised that. :) They are nippy buggers aswell, if you put your finger up near em they sometimes go for it. I remember one of my mates leaning against a wall to make a smoke and he must've brushed one or something cause next minute he's dancing round the tunnel trying to flick something off his neck, looked like he thought his hair was on fire, absolutely hilarious, but it did bite him hahaha. :D

Si

I suppose if you live in a cave food is in short supply. You might be tempted to have a go at anything... :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE