Eggs

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Before I pose this question, I must stress that it is just a question, and not something I am intending to act on.

My wife and I were idly chatting and we were talking about eggs (we have a couple of chickens). Does anyone know if you can eat all birds eggs or are there some you can't?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As far as I know, yes... And, all birds are edible, although some you might be best giving a wide birth. Think about the diet of a Town Pigeon :) Still edible though.

Indigenous tribes around the world will take huge risks to source certain variety's of eggs. The legality's in the Uk now, and most of the world, I'm sure you are aware of already.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are no poisonous eggs. It's just meat.

That said though, think on where they come from, and a lot of birds carry e-coli, etc.,

cheers,
Toddy

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Most Chicken Eggs, or rather Chickens are treated with Salmonella killing agents/chemicals these days. No doubt free range (commercially available anyhoo) and Duck off the shelf.

From your local greengrocers, feathers still attached not sure but probably. I cant ever remember anyone I know contracting salmonella from any eggs. Pink in the middle Chicken, yes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ducks make a mess ....iimmc....kind of a squitty mess :rolleyes: and their eggs are often kind of filthy.
Beautiful birds though :)

M

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Ducks make a mess ....iimmc....kind of a squitty mess :rolleyes: and their eggs are often kind of filthy.
Beautiful birds though :)

M

They are beautiful and cute too, but I wish I didn't know what I do know about them! Been trying to scrub my minds eye since the revelations.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can eat corvids. Rook pie used to be quite popular.

The meat of no UK bird is poisonous. All can of course carry bacteria if handled and cooked badly they may cause food poisoning - as may all meats.

All eggs are edible - but are much more likely to be fertile or addled.

Red

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can eat corvids. Rook pie used to be quite popular.

The meat of no UK bird is poisonous. All can of course carry bacteria if handled and cooked badly they may cause food poisoning - as may all meats.

All eggs are edible - but are much more likely to be fertile or addled.

Red

I could've sworn I read that meat eating birds (scavengers and predators) are best avoided due to parasites. Can't remember where I read it tho' :confused:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Carnivorous / omnivorous creatures are simpler disease vectors - but good cooking eliminates that. People can and do eat corvids - whether you choose to is a personal thing.

It is also true of pork - many cultures feel the same way about about friends made of bacon.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've been eating three raw eggs for breakfast every morning for the last 15 years. Mostly free range, but sometimes when they are out of stock I've had alot of battery eggs too. Not once have they made me ill. The risk is very very very minimal to almost nonexistant.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have eaten pigeon eggs a few times nothing special, wild duck eggs bring back fond memories when I was 10 years old.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
mmmhmm they are.

So?

Its all bits of an animals reproductive cycle.

We eat lambs and veal so new born animals are okay. We eat unfertilised embryo. Why is the bit inbetween off limits? Thats pretty random as prejudices go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE