Eggs

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats fine - but when you think about it we eat some gross stuff. Most of what we think of as gross is down to how we are raised and what we are used to. Its not logical in any way.

Jellied eels however are actually just snot.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Most of what we think of as gross is down to how we are raised and what we are used to. Its not logical in any way.

I've eaten some heinous stuff on my travels and always like to investigate weird and new foods. My culinary experiments put Mr Grylls to shame, but I can't and won't eat mushy peas.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, not "off limits" Just a bit farther than I would choose. You're right though, it does seem odd (the things we would find hard to eat and the things we find easy to eat) It reminds me of the joke about the guy walking into the diner (an older style of US restaurant) He asked what was the special of the day and the waiter replied, "Beef tongue." The customer said, "Yuck! I couldn't bring myself to eat anything that came out of a cow's mouth. Just bring me a couple of fried eggs."

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Thats fine - but when you think about it we eat some gross stuff. Most of what we think of as gross is down to how we are raised and what we are used to. Its not logical in any way.
it's definately a cultural thing.. I've eaten some wierd and wonderfull stuff when spending time with the natives on expedition... however it works both ways... In the Kalahari the bushmen we were with couldn't understand why were boiling fresh eggs before the chick had developed ...

Jellied eels however are actually just snot.
I can't argue with that one... would hate to see the size of the nose they came out of ...

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
What so a fertilised ova is gross ....but an unfertilised one isn't? Pretty fine distinction

Whaaaaaaat?? I like my eggs red !! but minus the feathers ,bones ,guts ,beak ,brains and legs !!!!! yup fried ,boiled ,scrambled,poached ,baked -raw even ! just can,t stomach the thought of eating the offel as well !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE