egg poaching ring?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
anybody know where to get these nowdays? used to be a common thing tbh can't find em for love nor money now.
like a bit of poached egg on toast in the morning and i don't see why i can't have it with my trangia! heh
pete

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Cobble them - boil water in a shallow pan (frying pan) and crack an egg in its boiling with out the shell, you could use one of those steel rings to keep it together and if you like (and I do) a splash of vinegar in the water helps..omo

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice one moab :)

For the best poached eggs the eggs need to be at room temperature (or if outside in the cold, about body temp') and very fresh. no aids or devices or vinegar or swirling of the waters. About an inch or 25mm of water on a simmer with small bubbles in the pan or billy.
Best served on top of Scottish smoked salmon on buttered toast with a dusting of fresh black pepper...IMHO

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

For the best poached eggs the eggs need to be at room temperature (or if outside in the cold, about body temp') and very fresh. no aids or devices or vinegar or swirling of the waters. About an inch or 25mm of water on a simmer with small bubbles in the pan or billy.
Best served on top of Scottish smoked salmon on buttered toast with a dusting of fresh black pepper...IMHO

I was just about to say that myself, you can't poach eggs from supermarkets cos they are all weeks old and the whites are all runny. Get a fresh egg and there is no need to hold it together.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

I'm sold - going to try that tomorrow :D

as a foot note
made SWMBO breakfast in bed today and use hart shaped egg rings - In the good books (for now)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK

i think i just drooled to death....

reet, gonna grab me some of these silicone rings then see how they go!
cheers chaps!
if i have a fire i'll defo try the ember cooked egg, apparently its really good (i'll remember to pierce the top too)
pete

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Just a thought; the plastic used for the Light My Fire mealkit floats. Could the kuska or storage pot from the mealkit be used the same way as the lakeland poach pods?

Right, poached egg on toast for lunch.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Well that was a miserable failiure. They sat too high in the water and took 20 minutes to overcook the yolk and still not cook all of the white.

Go for the Lakeland one. :sulkoff:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Well that was a miserable failiure. They sat too high in the water and took 20 minutes to overcook the yolk and still not cook all of the white.

Go for the Lakeland one. :sulkoff:

heh, 10 out of 10 for effor tho m8, is it not said that we only learn through our failures?
i'm going to see if there's a place that sells the ring other then online as the ring is 1.59 and the postage is 4.99!
all in all a bit silly but the options there if i really want it i guess ;)
pete

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
anybody know where to get these nowdays? used to be a common thing tbh can't find em for love nor money now.
like a bit of poached egg on toast in the morning and i don't see why i can't have it with my trangia! heh
pete

Pete,

Have you tried looking in a pound shop ? I'm sure i saw a 3 egg poacher (with pan) in there a few weeks back mate.

Andy

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
if i have a fire i'll defo try the ember cooked egg, apparently its really good (i'll remember to pierce the top too)
pete

Been there tried that...one word: BANG
We tried them with large holes, small holes and even with a stick left stuck in the to to try and stop it from exploding - all failed... Was watching a RM prog the other night and was vindicated though: he has the same issues with the method, but has got a solution: wrap the egg in sphagnum moss and chuck the whole thing on the fire - sort of steams it it's shell - havn't tried myself yet, but am deffinately going to!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The Lakeland Poach Pods are excellent.

I used mine today. My children enjoyed sausages and bacon (cooked outside on the BBQ) with poached eggs on toast.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Been there tried that...one word: BANG
We tried them with large holes, small holes and even with a stick left stuck in the to to try and stop it from exploding - all failed... Was watching a RM prog the other night and was vindicated though: he has the same issues with the method, but has got a solution: wrap the egg in sphagnum moss and chuck the whole thing on the fire - sort of steams it it's shell - havn't tried myself yet, but am deffinately going to!

It will work, but you have to pierce the yolk and this should stop the BANGS and the yolk will stay intact in the shell, same as cooking an egg in a microwave.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
It will work, but you have to pierce the yolk and this should stop the BANGS and the yolk will stay intact in the shell, same as cooking an egg in a microwave.

Definatley pierced the yolk - still went bang... the white can re-seal the yolk so it might be possible to do it if you keep sticking the yolk to make sure it dosen't seal over... but you'll probaly end up with it scrambled.

The same thing has happens in the micowave of you don't keep stabbing the yolk - makes a hell of a mess. My mum actually managed to blow the door off hers a few years back.

Anyway I tried the sphagnum trick yesterday, and while I need to get a hndle on the timing (the white was a little runny) the system deffinatley works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE