EEC banning herbal medicines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just looking at the water idea, nice bit here
http://www.lenntech.com/water-pseudoscience.htm

"Oxygizer water
It is said that drinking water enriched with oxygen is healthy, particularly for people practicing sports. Hence, Oxygizer water was developed. Oxygizer water comes from the Dolomites and contains up to 150 mg of oxygen, about 25 times the amount of regular tap water. It is also referred to as ‘Vitamin O’.

Visiting the website of the company that developed Oxygizer water teaches us that it was developed to improve oxygen uptake, for three reasons:
- To increase oxygen uptake in cities that cope with a lot of smog and other air pollution
- To prevent oxygen deficiencies for people with breathing disorders
- To enhance oxygen uptake after heavy physical exercise

However, Ben Goldrace sent an article about Oxygizer water to Bad Science, not believe in its actual mechanism. He put the water to the test, and stated that as humans would take up about 3,000 mg of oxygen a minute after heavy exercise, one would need 600 mg of extra oxygen a minute. To achieve this amount with Oxygizer water one would have to drink 40 litres in 10 minutes, or 1 litre every 15 seconds. This is impossible, as the human body is usually poisoned when more that 5 litres of water are taken up daily."

Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/water-pseudoscience.htm#ixzz1EVrgXKhB

The placebo effect is well known and used in main stream medicine and I suspect that its the placebo effect that works for many folk much of the time who use herbal remedies. Also remember the body often heals itself and herbal remedy could in fact have nothing to do with you getting well.

If it works for some then go for it. Its only half a century or so back that mental health patients were given hot mustard baths or sent into a coma with insulin, science moves on though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wasn't it also doctors who used electro convulsive therapy and claimed science proved it worked (as well as the "medical treatments" listed above - "medical treatments" that would have a doctor arrested for GBH these days)?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wasn't it also doctors who used electro convulsive therapy and claimed science proved it worked (as well as the "medical treatments" listed above - "medical treatments" that would have a doctor arrested for GBH these days)?

Indeed it was Red, the worrying part is that ECT works very well for some folk and is still sometimes used with good results; no arrests follow as its very strictly controlled. Contrary to urban myth you don't get the smell of burning flesh.

My wife's ECT suit closed due to lack of funding last year as its not cheap, you need a Doctor, Anesthetist and trained Recovery Nurse; patients have a thirty mile round trip per session these days since the units closure.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/depression/electroconvulsivetherapy_000605.htm

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
I'm with Rik, quackery! An alternative remedy which has been proven to work is medicine! Homeopathic remedies??? Now you're taking the mick aren't you? They have not one bit of scientific credibility. There is no active ingredient and the basic idea behind it is preposterous. What's wrong with going to the doctors, I don't get it? You'll be telling us about the virtues of acupuncture or chiropractic and the dangers of getting your kids vaccinated next. The reason 'Big Pharma' charges a lot for some medicines is the cost to them for R@D and to get products to market through the strict testing schedule. The scientific method is the best tool we have for examining the world around us. If you are selling something which is untested or unproven by this tool then I am not putting it in my body or that of my child. If we are ill we should have the most effective cure as determined by double blind testing and the use of the scientific method. Anything else is madness.

Tarkwon,

Like I said they work for me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE