EEC banning herbal medicines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Or they may be reacting to the wants and the need of the people who want “herbal medicine” to be at the very least safe to use and a consistent product. Not like the majority of herbal junk that is on sale at the moment. It’s not like they are asking the impossible like telling the herbal companies to prove that it works, they just want it to be safe to use, and to have in the tin what it says on the tin.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What tadpole said. They aren't banning anything other than unproven claims to be medicine and questionable safety. Nothing prevents anyone doing what I do and preparing their own herbals

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2011
Brighton
'Traditional' medicines with provable claims are known as 'medicines'. These may still be sold. One may no longer sell pills that claim to cure cancer without proving it, no.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Oh no - where am I going to get my tiger-bone cure-all from now?

...since when has Tiger-Bone been herbal???!! Did i miss something in school?

I think it is sad for the Herbal Medicine industry...a lot of people use these kinds of medicines, both those that are proven and those that are not. This is just another way by which the government can control, manipulate and inevitably earn a shed load of cash from the plebs.

Admittedly, control of substances that claim to be one-pill-cure-it-alls needs to be tightenes, but one has to wonder how much "effective" herbal medicine is going to be lost in this process. In addition, I dare say future R&D into the use of herbals could be curtailed as a result. Less expenditure for the big pharmas, more profit for them too...

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Or they may be reacting to the wants and the need of the people who want “herbal medicine” to be at the very least safe to use and a consistent product. Not like the majority of herbal junk that is on sale at the moment. It’s not like they are asking the impossible like telling the herbal companies to prove that it works, they just want it to be safe to use, and to have in the tin what it says on the tin.
Or they could keep their noses out and let people make their own choice.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
What tadpole said. They aren't banning anything other than unproven claims to be medicine and questionable safety. Nothing prevents anyone doing what I do and preparing their own herbals

As far as I understand it, they're not even banning the unproven medicinal claims. You just have to be able to prove that it's (a) what you say it is, and (b) not actively dangerous when used as directed, if you want to sell it for profit. Hardly seems like a bad thing to me. Does anyone really want the option of buying random mislabelled poisons? (Yes, I'm looking at you, arsenic contaminated Ayurvedic "medicines"!)

Oh - and the EEC? What decade is this? It hasn't been the EEC since 1993.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hiya

How can you make your own choice if you don't even know what's actually in the product you're choosing?
Choose a qualified herbalist (5 years training) and trust them, a bit like we do with doctors.
Mind you, there were over a 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, properly prescribed, adverse effects of medications in the USA last year

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Lets not forget that many of todays best selling drugs originated from herbal remedies (aspirin for example) and in many cases the only difference being they are now synthesized and line the pockets of huge pharma companies. I was scratching around to try and find how much it costs to obtain a licence for a single herb which may make up part of a herbal remedy and the figure I found was between £80,000 and £120,000

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
They'll be burning witches at the stake next..................................

Honestly , whatever next. They should just leave us alone.
Don't worry , I have no need for any medicines whatsoever I live in a bubble.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Choose a qualified herbalist (5 years training) and trust them, a bit like we do with doctors.

Provided they're doing their jobs properly, they will have no problems at all under these rules. It's only people selling mislabelled, poison-contaminated remedies that will be affected.

Read the link I gave above about contaminated Ayurvedic remedies. They weren't sold with clear labelling saying "warning: this product contains dangerous levels of lead, mercury and arsenic" - they were sold as safe, natural herbal remedies. (Bonus irony points for the fact that worries about exactly these sorts of "toxins" are one of the main reasons people go for this sort of thing in the first place.)

I really don't understand what people have against anti-adulteration laws. Remember the "poison milk" scandal? That's the sort of thing we're talking about here.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Lets not forget that many of todays best selling drugs originated from herbal remedies (aspirin for example) and in many cases the only difference being they are now synthesized and line the pockets of huge pharma companies. I was scratching around to try and find how much it costs to obtain a licence for a single herb which may make up part of a herbal remedy and the figure I found was between £80,000 and £120,000
Supposedly there are 1.5 million people taking St. John’s wart, in the UK ( 2008 Mintel) at about 18p –20p per tab per day that is a lot of money( £270,000 per day)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hmmm. Balance in all things, people! Next time you take you anti-malarial, tetanus or pre-rabies pills/shots, or need exotic drugs to fight cancer or gangrene or AIDS etc, just be grateful that the pharmaceutical companies made enough money to plough into their development and production, not to mention the huge costs involved in actually obtaining governmental approval over its safety and dosage levels. And also remember that only a couple of percent of the drugs initially developed ever make it to the market-place in the first place.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Hmmm. Balance in all things, people! Next time you take you anti-malarial, tetanus or pre-rabies pills/shots, or need exotic drugs to fight cancer or gangrene or AIDS etc, just be grateful that the pharmaceutical companies made enough money to plough into their development and production, not to mention the huge costs involved in actually obtaining governmental approval over its safety and dosage levels. And also remember that only a couple of percent of the drugs initially developed ever make it to the market-place in the first place.

buy that man a drink i get tired of hearing people rabbiting on about the 'evil pharmaceutical companies only out to make money' of course they want to make money its a business not a charity but the drugs they make work or they wouldn't sell any.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The vast majority of herbal remedies aren't worth the bottle they come in so for me this is a good move. Herbal remedy = quackery to be honest the majority of the time. Good working herbal remedies often become the real deal when they are clinically proven and where dosage and quality are maintained . Lets hope they ban pee pot courses in psychotherapy and counselling next.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE