EDC use???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
The thread o if you carry a knife or not got me thinking.

As far as an EDC goes for those of you that carry them what is your most scommon use.

I wish I had the ability to put up a poll here but I guess post responces will have to do.

for example I work in a factory so I use mine alot ot openup boxes cut apron cord and nylon straps.

What do you use yours for??????

Abe

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
My EDC is a Victorinox Tinker Deluxe. I work in an office, but I use mine daily for cutting string / rope, opening boxes, opening letters, screwing and unscrewing screws ( :rolleyes: ), plucking my nose hair with the tweezers :eek: and a whole host of other things. Without it I imagine I would cope, but don't want to. :D

ATB....Stu

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
CanRanger said:
What do you use yours for??????

Abe
Much the same as you Abe,
Cutting strapping and cord, opening boxes and cutting cardboard, opening tins of food etc. I normally EDC a multitool so it gets used for mechanical tinkering as well - machines in work, cars, caravan, motorbikes, in fact anything that needs tinkering with. Like Stu, I probably could cope without anything, but it makes me feel good that I have something in my pocket that keeps me a little more independant.

ATB

Ogri the trog

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
I edc a sak soldier, some of the things I have used it for in the last week

Make an omlelette
open bags of sand and cement
cut strapping
open packages and parcels
cut up fruit
change a plug
cut up plasterboard

and it still keeps coming back for more :)

In truth I would be lost without it.

Martin

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I usually have my opinel in my pocket, and my mora is never usually far away along with a folding saw.
I use them to split wood, make feather sticks, make forks,chopsticks,spoons, prepare food, get sparks from my ferro rod, cut string and rope stuff like that, I do most of these jobs a couple of times a week, I love my job! :approve:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
My EDC is a folding stanley type knife. It get used mostly for opening boxes and whittling down the odd broom handle to fit a head or the occasional walking stick to fit a ferrule. But I've just found my CRKT M16 in the drawer and I think I'll carry that as it is much easier to open and close one handed and has a better blade. My only slight worry is it looks a little tactical. I've been eyeing up a Spyderco Yojimbo as it looks less threatening but I can't justify the expense at the moment.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My edc is my three blade "stockman" pattern folder by Uncle Henry - non locking. Simple, basic, and for under $15 usd after sales tax. It's available at most of the local hardware stores, and also at Wally World.

It's the first thing put into my pocket in the morning, and the last thing taken out at night. This past week I've used it to:
cut an apple
whittle
cut string/rope
strip insulation off of a wire
tighten a screw
clean threads on a bolt
cut cardboard
move coals from a bow drill
clean fingernails
pry a storm window out of its frame
scrape crud off of some thick copper wire
clean the battery cable connectors on my truck
drive a tack
tap/adjust a wooden wedge
open several envelopes
and a few other things I probably have forgotten.

I've even used it to cut a steel-belted radial tire off of a rim. Talk about abusing a good knife! (long story from back on the farm)

I use it, I abuse it. It needs sharpening, one blade has lost its point and another blade is getting a little loose. It's my friend and companion. But, like an aging campaigner, I'm going to have to replace it soon - for only 15 bucks in town.

It's got lots of character - but is also being carried/used by a character.

So it goes.

Mike Ameling - that ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
I have a different knife for every occasion :p (I'm sure most here do) so it depends where I'm going as to what gets cut, but genrelly opening letters/packages, cutting cardboard opening food and cans e.c.t . Still don't have a good boating/sea fishing knife though (maybe a vic skipper??). Not that I ever go sea fishing, but you never know lol.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
my EDC is this
EDC2007a.jpg

EDC2007b.jpg

It gets used every day for such things as:
opening packages
cutting cheese and bread for my sandwiches
opening bags of coke (forge coke, I couldn't afford 25kg bags of the other stuff!)
sharpening pencils
cutting odd bits of string
cutting odd bits of wood
other wood related things
opening bottles of beer (eveingings only ;) )
skinning/butchering furry things (most recently a deer and a sheep)
cutting glue form handles
demonstrating fire steels (I prefer the old types for my own use)

Many other things that I don't even think about too!

I should probably mention that I spend all day either locked in my rural wortkshop or in the woods. The only time I'm in 'civilisation' is when going to the bank etc, in which case it is somewhere safe and legal ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE