EDC Gaffa/Duct tape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
As I've asked a question its only fair to post a tip (not an incredible one, but a tip nonetheless :))

Over the years both travelling and camping and just doing every day gubbins I have found that gaffa tape is something that I end up using an incredible amount, whether hanging mozzie nets in cheap hotels in India, to using as makeshift wound closure strips, to fixing the bumper on my car etc. etc. etc.

Obviously you can't carry a massive roll of the stuff everywhere with you so the best way I have found to always have at least some with you is to take an old business card, cut about 5mm from the end of it and wrap the tape carefully (horizontally) around the card. Do this as many times as you can but stop before the whole card is too thick then it will fit in one of the credit card slots in your wallet.

Its not a huge length but its enough that I use it often at work (and I work in an office) and it means you always have some with you.

For travelling I either remove all the cardboard from the middle of a roll and squash it flat or to really save space I have wrapped quite a long length around a pen. It makes it much more compact.

Note: Don't but the really cheap tape, some of it is rubbish and tears very easily. The good stuff is incredibly tough.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Just bought some 'Tenacious Tape' which is pricey, just unbder a fiver for about 50cm or so, but brilliant stuff, and well worth carring a strip in your EDC stuff. Its clear, so its not obvious when you do a repair, its paper-backed, so a piece can be folded like a bank note and put in your wallet. It sticks to almost anything, is waterproof, airtight etc. You can use it to protect high wear areas of kit or clothing. I have just repaired a Marmot Driclime windshirt that I had ripped on the top of the shoulder. Its right where a Bergan strap would go, and the patch ( cut circular) has not budged. I gather this stuff can repair the the Thermarest Neo air camping mattress, it can also be removed without leaving any residue.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I always carry a roll in the car, have about 1 inch rolled around a pencil stub in the FAK, and a miniroll in the rucksack.

Brilliant stuff gaffa.

Alex

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I have bits of gaffer tape on my walking poles - a very easy place to store the tape and peel it off easily as required. Same goes for the handle of my emergency shovel.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I keep a roll in the truck. Sometimes I'm a real geek and get the camo colored roll. There are 2 important things to remember about duct tape:

1. Duct tape is like the force; it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
2. A REAL dad can fix ANYTHING with duct tape and a pair of Vise-Grips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE