EDC bushcraft knife from TBS

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Curly birch arrived this morning. Cracking knife very impressed.
Great finish and a great overall size. Feels very solid in the hand and has a very firm lock up. Unfortunately the guys sent me the bar rather than the stud so pics will have to wait. I emailed them and they will be sending out the stud Monday morning. Big thumbs up for TBS who were very efficient and polite to deal with.

Just took a quick picture today after me and the boy walked our local hill. Well I say "we" but he mad me carry him most of the way :) Proper review and pictures to come soon.

IMAG2910_zps9bee84f3.jpg

IMAG2902_zpsb29da05e.jpg

IMAG2906_zps74880792.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
So this show's the knife with the brass bar fitted. With the blade being a mirror finish I found it difficult to grip it at times and the brass bar aids greatly.
View attachment 20739 View attachment 20740

I bought the curly birch as a gift. The handle is not as patterned as I'd have liked, but it is a natural material after all. It still smells of the oil, I'm afraid I don't know what type of oil. The blade is not mirrored and so opening it is a lot easier. I also bought a sheath for this one as I've moved house and my leather making kit is somewhere in the garage. I bought the 4.5'' tan leather sheath but it's a little too large not excessively though. Lovely knife either way.

View attachment 20741 View attachment 20742

Not connected just a happy customer after excellent service from TBS.

How are you getting on with the Bar? I tried the one they sent be by mistake and nowhere seemed comfy on the blade without being too far forward?
I am still going to try the stud when it comes in.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great piccs guys - thanks (nice bear!), very interested in impressions on the bar as well please

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have been giving the knife a good workout and its holding up well. Carved a little spoon and made a few feather sticks all good.
I then used it to make the sheath above which is pretty hard going on any knife. Cutting leather onto a wooden board and bevelling leather at angles.
The knife was pretty blunt after this but after a few passes on a 6000 stone and a little strop its back to sharp.

IMAG2940_zps50fc5aea.jpg

IMAG2957_zpsfe492f8c.jpg

Oh and the teddy is "Victor the Viking" boys best friend.

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've had the bar on and only played with the knife, no serious use. Work is a tad busy. I've shifted the bar up a little and it feels a little bit easier without getting in the way. Here's where I've put it that's comfortable for me. Due to the mirror like finish the bar makes it easier to open.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good news - is the bar firmly attached when the grub screws are done up?

Thanks for the info!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Yea pretty secure. The allen key is thin and at times I was unsure whether it was tightening but it's secure.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As promised the Stud arrived from The bushcraft store. Its a lot more robust than the bar and much easier to use.
I would like the stud much further up the blade towards the pivot but the lack of leverage and strong back spring makes it too hard to open.

I think once the knife beds in a whole lot more I will be able to move it closer to where i want it. I may even consider a bit of file and polish work to take some of the weight out if it refused to soften a little.

Big oops though, made the sheath before the stud turned up :eek: Was not too happy with the finish anyways..

IMAG3062_zps3c0b0c09.jpg

IMAG3061_zpsab62b32d.jpg

OOPS
IMAG3060_zpse3d9972e.jpg

N

Nomad

Just took delivery of one of these in black today, and I have to say, it's very nice. A good, solid feeling knife that should do well for heavier stuff that I wouldn't use my Swiss Champ for. Good to have something more robust, with a comfy handle, spear point and scandi grind, that's still legal for EDC, and the all-stainless and micarta should make it very low maintenance.

For those thinking about getting one, the blade thickness is nearer 2.5mm (my micrometer says 2.44mm, for what it's worth).

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I like the look of that but just not keen on the bar/ stud..... looks too clumsy to me.
I've been hankering for a new folder but alas the sak does tick many of my edc needs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE