EDC bushcraft knife from TBS

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Received my knife this morning. First impressions very nice, small which suits my hands and sharp. I'll post pictures later.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The knife came this morning, I'd chosen regular mailing ordered it Fri evening and it arrived yesterday. It needs to be signed for so I had to pick it up from the post office this morning. It came in a jiffy bag, the knife itself was in a lightweight cardboard box.
The micarta was shiny and the blade has a mirror finish. It's not quite hair popping out of the box but close to, maybe after a stropping. It fits my hand comfortably, I have small hands glove size 8 but it sits quite nicely. Opening it is a two handed affair, theres no nail recess so the blade needs to be gripped and opened. The blade is 2mm thick and a cutting edge of 6.75cm. The knife overall measures 17cm, the handle 9.8mm, the opening and closing of the blade is secure.
It cut through outboard engine pull cord like it was light string. First impressions based on no use. I like it and it's comfortable.

IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0984.jpg IMG_0986.jpgIMG_0988.jpg IMG_0989.jpg IMG_0990.jpgIMG_0992.jpg IMG_0993.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Noooo was hoping this would never come to light.... Anyone seen the curly birch in the flesh? Hovering over the button here...

BCUK gets 5% off too......

Last edited:

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
What's the back spring like mate? I like a really stiff pull...if you know what I mean,
with a really loud snap and a solid half stop, like traditional Sheffield and German
Lamb foots. How does this one compare?

I'm really liking the look of it but a weak spring would kill it for me.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Crumpled under the temptation and ordered the curly birch with a thumb stud to see if it suits.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can we have a review please on how the stud works? Its a neat idea but I'd love to hear how it actually functions

Will do Red, hopefully here tomorrow if not early next week. The thumb-stud seems like a good idea in principal but time will tell.
It is a function in a knife I dont want to live without if possible so hope this solves the problem.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me too - I find one handed opening really helpful, but want EDC legal. Tried a UKPK and hated it!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Me too - I find one handed opening really helpful, but want EDC legal. Tried a UKPK and hated it!

I love my UKPK, cuts brilliantly and very comfortable not to mention the one handed opening. It has been my EDC for about 8 years infact.

Only problem and its a biggun is the looks of the thing. :(
I pull it out to peel an apple, cut packaging whatever, discretely mind and as soon as people see it I get "that cant be legal" "that looks scary" "what you carrying a shiv around for?" ,, to name but a few.
Kind of getting sick of the comments which was the deciding factor in choosing the curly birch over the mac handle when I would really prefer the mac.

Ramblings...

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Sorry on TBS you can buy a stud or a bar to place on the blade to assist it opening. In an email conversation today he recommended that I buy the bar as opposed to the stud.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Had a rummage around their site and I had not noticed it was brass stud or.. bar. I assumed it was a double description until I saw the drop down :rolleyes:

I had a further look and there is actually a picture of both that I completely missed. Tiny links just off the upper left side of the picture. I had ordered the stud type according to my email so we can compare both.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
So this show's the knife with the brass bar fitted. With the blade being a mirror finish I found it difficult to grip it at times and the brass bar aids greatly.
IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0995.jpg

I bought the curly birch as a gift. The handle is not as patterned as I'd have liked, but it is a natural material after all. It still smells of the oil, I'm afraid I don't know what type of oil. The blade is not mirrored and so opening it is a lot easier. I also bought a sheath for this one as I've moved house and my leather making kit is somewhere in the garage. I bought the 4.5'' tan leather sheath but it's a little too large not excessively though. Lovely knife either way.

IMG_0996.jpg IMG_0997.jpg

Not connected just a happy customer after excellent service from TBS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE